Shady past

By Anonymous - 16/12/2022 20:00 - United States - Maryville

Today, I got fired from the job I’ve been at for two and a half years, all over some bullshit charge I got 8 years ago. How did they find out? Background check for a promotion. FML
I agree, your life sucks 959
You deserved it 274

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Vesi 29

Out of curiosity, did you already tell them about this incident before they could "find" it? If not.. you really have to learn to disclose anything negative they might find with an explanation to avoid this in the future.

Did you rob a Starbucks? If the evidence were a stolen venti iced coffee, we would have a theme for today.

Comments

Vesi 29

Out of curiosity, did you already tell them about this incident before they could "find" it? If not.. you really have to learn to disclose anything negative they might find with an explanation to avoid this in the future.

Did you rob a Starbucks? If the evidence were a stolen venti iced coffee, we would have a theme for today.

if I was you I would talk to an employment lawyer sounds like they've broken some laws like wrongful termination

Lying on your job application is grounds for immediate dismissal no matter how long it takes for an employer to discover that - At least that’s the case in the USA.

ODBeefalo 10

same where I am. However, if they did not do a background check prior to hiring OP and they did not lie, then this would 100% be grounds for wrongful dismissal. but even if they ask and op says "nothing major," they would then have to find out what OP thinks is considered major since they would have to decide if the company considers it major within 3 months of hire otherwise why did they hire OP knowing what they did.

I have a suspicion that this was a job requiring a security clearance - either for public safety or for a military contractor. The lowest level clearance does not always require an extensive background check but it does require filling out an extensive questionnaire. The easiest way to fail a security check is to be dishonest - It’s far better to admit to an embarrassing incident up front that to hide it and have it discovered later. That’s because the risk of compromise is high when you have a secret that could be used to blackmail you… And in the USA, you can be fired for lying on a job application or other necessary forms you fill out - No matter how long it takes for your employer to discover the truth…

I'm wondering what the charge was, but obviously you'd worked there for years already and they didn't do a background check then, so why do it now? And if they did do a background check before hiring you, obviously your charge wasn't an issue then. They could just not give you the promotion; they didn't have to fire you.

That background check should have happened 2 1/2 years ago.

There are levels of security clearances. The lower levels don’t have as much investigation and checking. Higher levels require more investigation - and that’s when discrepancies are found… I am betting that this revolves around a security clearance. Some jobs require one level of clearance and some a higher level