Love is…

By Valentina - 17/07/2023 22:00

Today, my husband hosted dinner tonight and once again made deflating comments and called me “r*tarded sp*c” in front of his friends. They all laughed, while I had a knot in my throat. I have to stay married to him for another year and a half or else I’ll lose my green card and get deported. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 202
You deserved it 365

Same thing different taste

Top comments

lalalaila777 24

while you wait, make sure you are preparing, saving and have support from friends and family, so you can leave the moment you can without having to start planning then. good luck to you🙏🏽

I have no words. All I can say is I’m sorry, and I hope you can run like the wind a year and a half from now.

Comments

I have no words. All I can say is I’m sorry, and I hope you can run like the wind a year and a half from now.

lalalaila777 24

while you wait, make sure you are preparing, saving and have support from friends and family, so you can leave the moment you can without having to start planning then. good luck to you🙏🏽

I wonder what he's so upset about. I can't imagine doing that unless you're actively trying to ruin him and he feels just as trapped. Also pretty weird his friends just went with it. How could that situation even happen?

some people are just racist, even to their spouses. who clearly was the only one desperate enough to marry him. I say just poison all their dinners

Maybe he is being a dick cause she’s only with him to get a green card and he’s realised that it’s not about love anymore?

Boyer79 6

Doesn’t mean you have to stay there and put up with it!

You should have stood up for yourself and said, "I'm a developmentally-challenged sp*c!" and stormed off!

Document, document, document. There are green card options for those subject to domestic abuse and violence in your situation, if you’re already in the USA, legally or not. You can potentially apply on your own though you will almost certainly need a lawyer. I don’t know what level of abuse is needed by the courts, but they specifically have laws to protect spouses who are abused and then threatened with their immigration status being revoked specifically because it is so common. A friend recently got hers after her psycho husband was spying on her, trying to make her angry and record it to blackmail her, and generally being controlling and totally abusive. His recordings were key evidence, so document what you can, and you may be able to find a way out sooner.

So you married him for a green card? No wonder he’s insulting you if your using him to get through immigration you don’t want to be with him and are using him for his status wow, you don’t deserve abuse but you are using him, do you and him a favour leave him drag out the divorce and stop making each other miserable and don’t use people to immigrate.

It was never said she married him FOR a green card. Just that if they divorce she'll lose it. Maybe he became a d*ck after marriage thinking he had himself a nice sl@ve to show off to his equally d*ckish friends.

exlax in his coffee, or something like that. make him miserable.

No, you don't have to stay with him. No one can force you to be in an abusive relationship. If you have a conditional green card, you will need to file for divorce and file your I751 (removal of conditions) with a divorce waiver. These forms are accessible online and you do not need a lawyer but it can help if you can afford it. You will have to be able to prove you didn't enter the marriage only for a green card and that it was a legit marriage. It will not hurt to have any evidence of the abuse that occurs, as well. This is not right and you do not deserve this. You are still eligible to keep your residency status so long as your original intentions were correct. Unfortunately, abuse like this is common in marriage based green cards and the abusive spouses often think they hold power over the immigrant. However, you do not need to live this way.