Last Christmas

By Syd - 21/12/2012 16:00 - United States - Plano

Today, I looked at my neighbor's empty lawn; he's an old guy and he usually has the best Christmas lights. We knew he might not be able to do them this year, so I felt bad and I did them for him. Later, a neighbor asked about them and I told her that I helped out. She said, "You do know he died, right?" FML
I agree, your life sucks 38 690
You deserved it 18 551

Same thing different taste

Top comments

He's there in spirit. You did a nice thing.

Well, you were right when you figured he wouldn't be able to do them this year anyway...

Comments

You did a great thing. I'm sure if he was still around he would have been really grateful. Now those lights represent Christmas and your late neighbour

onorexveritas 23
slappygecko 21

I have a doubt about anyone suspecting it if they hadn't heard of it. But it was still cool of him to do that for the guy.

BellaBelle_fml 23

You must be a pretty cynical person to automatically suspect that someone has passed away just because they didn't do something that they normally would have. In this situation, putting up their usual Christmas lights.

So 13, if a person wouldn't show up to work one day, like he normally does, then you'd suspect he's dead? Or any other situation.

Why would you do it without asking or notifying him first?

Werken247 14

random acts of kindness, that's why

I just think there could have been other circumstances. What if he was having somebody else do it?

If he didn't have a close relationship with the guy or if his neighbor wasn't sociable or outside a lot, it's understandable if he didn't know he was dead. It also sounds like he was trying to just do a nice thing; if it would have been true egoism, it seems he would have gone out of his way to introduce the topic, not just respond to a question. I think it would have been weird to have someone ask about the lights and to respond that he didn't know anything about them.

15- I was wondering that too. How is OP supposed to put up the lights without asking the old man where the lights are and stuff? I don't think the Christmas lights would just be chilling on the front lawn, ready and waiting for OP to put them up. OP would have had to go snooping around the old man's house looking for them.

No, I think what happened is OP bought his or her own lights and took them over to the neighbor's house to put them up. I agree that it's still a sweet gesture despite the embarrassment of not realizing the neighbor had passed on

Yeah! OP should have sooo gone to a spiritual communicator or used a ouja board and asked the old man, "do you want me to set up your Christmas lights??" (note the sarcasm..)

chriisteex 10

I worry for people who think like you...

Maybe I'm just some sort of antisocial freak but I'd be a little creeped out if someone I don't even talk to often enough to know if I'm alive or dead came on my property and put up their own decorations, that just seems really strange to me.. If the old man was so into his own decorations I'm sure he would have rather helped Op set them up. I would think he'd be much happier just putting a lawn ornament or something out on his own with the op helping on the big stuff, than to walk out and see someone has put up their own decorations in their own style on a house that isn't theirs. Just seems strange to me :o

24 If that was the case he would have told the other neighbor that he did all of it himself. Yeah he lied and said he helped, but it was an attempt to credit the man who always did it year after year.

zombieslayer83 19

You decorated his lawn without asking him if it was okay? What gives you that right without checking with him first?

If the neighbor always decorated his lawn, he obviously enjoys doing it himself. Now the OP took that from him without permission. I love to decorate for the holiday and wouldn't mind getting help but don't take ALL the joy away from me. I have specific ideas where I want my snowmen to go.

perdix 29

Obviously, the old dude was too lazy to get his decorations up in a reasonable time, so the OP took it upon himself to spruce up the neighborhood for the holidays. Turns out the old guy had a pretty good excuse.

**** remind me never to try do something nice for you..

Perdix, I don't understand some of the people's thinking process on this matter. They're the ones that would bitch if their mommies went into their rooms and rearranged their stuff without permission. The OP was sweet in trying to help but what if the neighbor doesn't like the way "his" yard was decorated or if he was waiting this weekend for his grandchildren's visit so that they could have a family bonding doing it together? The OP should have "checked first". Case closed! Vote me down all you want-- I still know I'm right!

I agree with you, at the very least isn't it trespassing to go on his property without his permission? Much less renovate it.

perdix 29

#55, it's hard to tell what was appropriate without knowing the neighborhood. In some neighborhoods, neighbors rake each others leaves, shovel sidewalks, etc. without asking all the time, and in others, trespassers get shot on sight.

Well 69--that can be sorta different as those are usually considered choirs. People take pride and joy in decorating. Especially if the old man did it the best for the past years. Btw "Are you calling me a lazy slob because I haven't cut my grass yet and you now feel you must do it for me!?" Haha I can now picture that shot gun crazed neighbor. (:

Yeah, I'm sure the neighbor would have been soo pissed off about the placement of certain decorations on his lawn that he'd come back to life just to tell OP "you got my ornaments wrong!!" and then the zombie apocalypse would begin... (note the sarcasm..)

lindaruiz 5

Aww, that was nice of you but very sad.

olpally 32

At least your heart was in the right place. That's just unfortunate op. :(

challan 19

It was. probably the nicest FML I've ever read.

Gwyddone 29

It was still very kind from you, I think:)

perdix 29

His family is going to think he came back to life and start a whole new religion based on him. This new religion's Easter is going to be on what Christians call Christmas. That's going to be confusing.

Am i the only one wondering where he got the lights from?

crazytwinsmom 25

I was wondering that too. Maybe OP just used some of his own stuff?

justhanging 6

You're not the only one. I would also like to know what electrical outlet he plugged them into. Story seems fishy.

lindaruiz 5

#27, NOW THAT YOU MENTION IT...where did he get the lights?

Obey_StudBoii 23