It is

By Anonymous - 07/12/2013 07:17 - United States - San Pablo

Today, my fifteen year-old son decided to tell his little five year-old sister that Santa isn't real. She now refuses to talk to any of us and thinks "her whole life is a lie". FML
I agree, your life sucks 46 543
You deserved it 6 951

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Beating donkeys are considered animal abuse. Just sayin'.

Don't tell her about the Tooth Fairy or the Easter Bunny then. She may go rogue.

Comments

perdix 29

Oh, what a tangled web we weave When first we practice to deceive.

Sounds like something out of a Dr. Seuss Christmas special

BlueFlatts 20

I am so stealing that. Here's a penny for your thoughts.

^^ please tell me you guys are kidding... that quote is ancient and wise.

YDI, OP. You lie to your kids, you have to pay the consequences. We get upset when our kids lie to us. How can you expect any less of them?

Laurenlou 24

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

You get upset when your kids lie to you because they're doing it to avoid consequences of something they shouldn't have done. Your lie? Santa rewards children for being good by giving presents. They get presents and you get a well behaved child. It's a win-win.

RedPillSucks 31

So lying is OK if everyone is happy about it?

aria78 19

What your thoughts on the matter are doesn't really come into account when it comes to your sister. It wasn't your place to tell her. Its your parents choice. If she ask questions you just tell her to ask your parents. But to tell her there is no santa wasnt your place.

#31 - I hate to be picky but Jesus isn't quite the reason Christmas exists - it was a pagan solstice festival claimed by the expanding Catholic Church in order to ease the transition of religions. As the holiday stands today, Jesus still doesn't play much part (might I direct you to Tim Minchin's White Wine in the Sun). #54 - are you saying that it wasn't his place to tell the truth? If you applied that logic universally, I don't know what kind of sick moral values you would have.

56, I was waiting for someone to say that, "Oh it used to be a Pagan holiday...blah...blah...blah..." Yeah, the same is true for Easter, but it's still the holiest day in Christianity. There are virtually no adult Christians who don't know that. December 25th is no longer the Winter Solstice to us. It's the day we remember that God became incarnate, or that God gave us his son, depending upon your particular sect. Do you really think that Christians would continue a Pagan tradition if they had not replaced its original meaning with their own? Of course not. Don't be such a know-it-all.

RandomHavoc1 13

76, I just find it annoying when people bring up the Winter Solstice thing like it's something most people don't know about. Christians celebrate Chrismas to remember Jesus, and everyone else celebrates Christmas because it's fun. It's not about the Winter Solstice anymore. That's the point.

It may not be about the winter solstice for you. Doesn't mean that's true for everyone.

I'd like to point out I was only being picky because you called Jesus the "reason the Christmas holiday exists", which he wasn't, nor could you say he is the direct reason Christmas exists as it does today.

I'm sorry. Do modern Pagans celebrate Christmas? Or do they celebrate the Winter Solstice? Hmmmm... Yeah, no, they celebrate the Winter Solstice, NOT Christmas. That makes them different holidays, yes?

#31 Just curious. Are you planning to tell your children that fairies exist, or that Jesus is the son of god? Where do you draw the line between 'lying' and faith indoctrination? Children are right to believe in Santa given numerous sightings in shopping centers and the evidence of presents, reindeer prints etc. left by parents. You on the other hand have no evidence of your god...

But Santa is real. I feel bad you have such a dumbass 15 year old.

This is why the closer I get to starting a family the more I've decided I will teach my kids that Santa is a fun pretend part of Christmas. It does feel like quite a lie to a child and makes them wonder what else they are lied to about.

My parents never never told me about Santa at all. They let me learn about him from other sources and believe that he was real. Then I when I found out I was like, "Hey! You lied." And they were like, "No we didn't. We never said anything about Santa to you." Touche, Mom and Dad. Touche.

I share your sentiments, #25. Many people feel that creating the illusion of Santa Claus is necessary for their children to have a "magical" Christmas, but even a well-intended deception introduces elements of contradiction and inconsistency that the brains of these young children are often not developmentally equipped to reconcile. Given that, fostering a belief in Santa Claus (or trying to maintain the illusion AFTER the child discovers the lie, as some of the above comments suggest) feels patently wrong, especially when there are other options available (like telling them he's a fun, pretend part of Christmas, as you said).

P1Nk13 7

that is what my parents did! So many kids are heartbroken and it can harm the parent-child trust. it's not worth it to be so literal about Santa.

Yep. I refuse to lie to my children about Santa. Besides, would you rather your children thank some imaginary person for what they get, or would you rather they thank you?

wait wait wait, if Santa isn't real....who ate the cookies I left out? ...oh damnit

tehdarkness 21

She's right, it is weird that parents lie to kids about Santa! She will get over it though just explain it to her. She seems smart for her age!

To all of you who are claiming you'll never lie to your kids about Santa... You do understand that they'll believe in dragons and talking cats and teddy bears that come to life in their dreams, right? Are you planning on crushing each and every one of those ideas? Telling them that it isn't real every time they draw a unicorn until they have no imagination left? Or is it JUST Santa you're worried about? You're gonna to save them by telling them that 0.01% of the made-up stuff they believe is fake? But that all the rest of that stuff isn't? Because that plan seems even weirder.

Laurenlou 24

Kids can have an imagination without actually believeing in the fairy tales. I never believed in any fairtales, except for Jake and Rose being a true love story on the Titanic. Kids are not dumb enough to believe everything they hear, you know. I was quite upset when I found out that Santa wasn't real. Its not taking away any "magic." It made Christmas better for me. I understood why "Santa" couldn't bring me that expensive present I asked for: My parents couldn't afford it! I told my parents thank you for the presents because they deserved the thank you. Some may not believe that Jesus is the Savior and Son of God, but CHRISTmas, is still about His birth!

VeylonaBloodsea 6

Except if they DO believe in all the fairy tale stuff, the parents aren't going to be directly lying to the kid to perpetuate the belief. Huge difference.

Laurenlou 24

Also, I learned the history behind Mickey Mouse when I was 5. Great stuff for kids to learn starts with fairy tales like Mickey Mouse! And once again, kids aren't stupid. Let them learn!

When my daughter was 4 she met Cinderella at Disney World. She was thrilled. I suppose you both would have told her it was just an actress and to stop being so excited. I find that sad. And don't give me the old "I'll let them believe but I won't lie" story. No, saying nothing to her IS a lie. Remaining quiet is a lie of omission that I chose to do. It's not a neutral default. You have to make a choice one way or the other. You don't get to pretend you're above the game. So what's it gonna be? Would you tell the little girl at Disney World that she didn't actually meet her favorite princess?

Yes! Consider this: what happens when she realizes the truth? I can honestly truly say that I would have rather never learned about santa clause than be lied to my entire life.

No offense, but you are a teenager trying to give out parental advice. I used to say a lot of things differently when I was a teen..."oh, when I have kids, I will never do...to them." Then you have a kid and your opinions change. There have been millions of children that have figured out Santa isn't real, yet they seem okay. I have yet to hear a story of someone not killing their parents over Santa not being real. Little kids innocent belief makes Christmas that much more magical. I never get tired of my kid's face lighting up over Santa.

#30, you make the flawed assumption that having a healthy, age-appropriate understanding of "real versus pretend" is mutually exclusive with experiencing wonder/excitement over something like Santa or Cinderella at Disneyland. It is a balanced approach, designed to minimize inconsistencies. On that same note, using a statement like "she's not real, stop being so excited" to support your position is logically fallacious. You are entitled to parent your children in whatever manner you see fit, but using a logical fallacy to discredit the parenting styles of others is very poor form.

SuperMew 22

I was told Santa was not real. My parents told me, "Santa used to be a real man who gave toys to needy children. Now, in his honor, we give to those who are too young to buy their own things. We give to those we love, because it is about making others happy on the holidays." I loved that. I loved that the holidays were about giving to others. However, it did not mean my parents completely took away all magic and wonder. I went to Disneyland a few times and I was thrilled to meet Ariel and Mickey Mouse. While there, my parents let me gush about my favorite princesses. They bought me a crown and toys and candy and made it wonderful for me. When we got home they told me that there are places in the world where pretending is okay. I still gushed about meeting Ariel, and spent a few days running around in the crown fighting Ursula. They played along with me. They made me a paper ship. They bought me the movie. They got me toys. I got a mermaid Barbie. They never took away my games, but I knew there were no such things as mermaids. And I turned out just fine. It made me appreciate my parents all that more for them allowing me to be a kid but also not making me feel stupid for being lied. to.

I think kids know that the things at Disneyland aren't real. It's still fun and magical and you can kind of suspend belief for a bit but I don't think many kids genuinely believe they're real. I mean, even if you did believe the films, you'd want the princesses to be having their happy ever after in their own castles not all together in one crazy village. Not to mention all the non human creatures like Stitch that are suddenly human sized and stand on two legs and! things. It's not really the same thing.

SuperMew 22

I have heard parents explain Disney in a lot of ways. Some say, "That is fake." Some say, "The princesses lived a long time ago." Another simply said, "They are real in our minds." I have never really heard anyone over 6 say, "These are real and I saw them."

#90, my parents did the same thing and I've always known who Santa really was and enjoyed his figure just as much without having to believe some lie, and that's what my kids will learn as well. Your folks did the best thing possible.

To try and keep the magic alive for your daughter you could take the family somewhere on Christmas eve and arrange for someone to play Santa at your house - putting gifts from Santa under the tree before you return that evening. You'll also have to take your son aside and explain that, even though there isn't a physical person who is Santa, imagination and magic and belief are all very important parts of childhood, and the age gap between him and his sister shouldn't mean she doesn't get to have the same opportunities for developing a sense of wonder that he had when he was 5.