Home sweet home

By Anon - 30/04/2014 02:07 - United States - Maidens

Today, after getting home from finals and finishing the semester, I had a very heartfelt reunion with my dog during which he licked me all over the face. About an hour later, my dad told me, "By the way, don't let him lick you, he has hookworms." FML
I agree, your life sucks 46 890
You deserved it 5 038

Same thing different taste

Comments

avapaige1234 19

That's nasty! The best thing to do is to have yourself checked and I do hope the poor dog sees a vet.

This is one of the reasons why I don't like dogs licking my face.

Because they remind you of your dad?

I hope ur dad was just kidding.. If not, sorry bud, go to doc ASAP

You both (you and your dog) better get checked out and or get a clean bill if health

rocker_chick23 27

Unless your dog eats its own shit, you can't get hookworm if they lick your face.

Its doubtful you contracted hookworm. Hookworm larva are typically present in feces and on the ground, not in saliva. Most species of dog hookworm do not infect humans. Still its a good idea to get checked out, especially since treatment is easy.

#19. Thank you. I'm amazed it took this long in the comments for someone to say that. Hookworms are hard to catch from your pet.

Thank you #19. I couldn't believe no one caught this. Hookworms aren't in saliva and they need to be absorbed through the skin from feces or eaten. Hookworms that affect dogs aren't zoonotic and can't be transferred to people. In extremely rare cases, if a person gets a canine hookworm, it will just sit below the surface of the skin and itch. It can't infect people the way it infects dogs.

Razi_tail 25

I am always surprised by how little people know and just say things without at least checking the internet first. Thank you previous three comments for some intellect on hookworms! I was searching for a correction on the transfer of hookworms and the fact that that are not zoonosis before commenting. :)

Aw, he should have told you earlier. Sorry op.

Why let the dog lick you in the first place anyway? I like dogs but I find the licking gross. People would usually find gross another person licking them but it seems ok when it is an animal... Kinda weird.

schhichick 14

Because most humans understand social cues and what not to do. And although dog tongues may be gross they lick in a loving way if a human licked another human it might seem canabilistic?

nippleripple 9

considering its the dogs way of showing affection, why not let him lick you? my dog licks me all the time, he just doesn't have hookworms fortunately.

Because humans and dogs show affection in different ways. A dog licks his/her humans. Dogs wag their tails to show happiness. They tend to be guided by scent more than humans are.

Fair enough, comparing humans and dogs was a bit silly of me. I still find the licking quite gross, dogs tend to lick anything, from their balls to dirty puddles.

schhichick 14

Such a squirmy or should I say sqwormy situation.