Helper Blues

By Fat and Embarrassed - This FML is from back in 2016 but it's good stuff - United States - Palmdale

Today, I asked an elderly customer at my work if she needed help with her groceries. She responded, "I normally would, but I'm afraid you'll eat all the groceries." FML
I agree, your life sucks 13 190
You deserved it 1 492

Same thing different taste

Top comments

"Well, I've got to commend you on still going out in public with such bizarre and specific paranoid fantasies. It must be very difficult for you to see other people and fight against all the stereotype-driven fears that flood your mind. You're quite a hero."

Too bad you've got to hold back and remember that "the customer's always right" BS. Otherwise, it'd be "Clean up on Aisle 5!"

Comments

nonsensical 26

It's amazing how little the elderly care about how rude they are... Will we be just as blunt when we're that age? There's definitely more fun in life that way! I work at a retirement home and I hear these things (and worse) all the time. Don't take it personally OP!

Don't let it touch you. Even if she was serious.

I don't think she was literally worried about OP eating the groceries; she was making a comment about her weight. I'm not sure what you mean about her being serious.

I think he means if she made a poorly thought out joke or if she was intentionally being malicious.

Too bad you've got to hold back and remember that "the customer's always right" BS. Otherwise, it'd be "Clean up on Aisle 5!"

My dream is to open a restaurant (grill and bar), and if I do, I'm gonna post a sign that says "The customer is always right (except when they're a dumbass)"

"Well, I've got to commend you on still going out in public with such bizarre and specific paranoid fantasies. It must be very difficult for you to see other people and fight against all the stereotype-driven fears that flood your mind. You're quite a hero."

"That's too bad. I was worried you'd break a hip. Good luck."

cheshireau 26

I would have said something along the lines of 'and I think you'd go nicely with some fava beans and a nice chianti.' I know it makes you seem like a cannibal, but if she wants to go there, you take it to the next level.

On the loud speaker- can any available associate help this elderly woman, carry her diapers...

"Maybe you should get some better glasses, because it's not the size that matters, it's how you use it."

Tell everyone to not help the old bitch if they see her. If she's going to be THAT rude when you want to help, then she can pack and bag her own shit.

Yes, because refusing to help someone out of context and encouraging coworkers to follow suit absolutely won't harm OP's chances at keeping their job.