Help yourself

By anonymous - This FML is from back in 2012 but it's good stuff - United States - Westwood

Today, I witnessed a car accident. Being an experienced paramedic, I rushed to the scene to see if anyone needed help. As I assessed the people involved, one of them pickpocketed me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 32 207
You deserved it 2 140

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Why is it always the person being good that's ******?

amayranii 2

Comments

qwertyuiop100 2

I've been a paramedic for a long time. Longer than most on this site have been alive. Never once have I, or any of my colleagues referred to ourselves as an "experienced paramedic." A rookie paramedic rushes to a scene. When you rush to a scene, mistakes are made. When I come across an accident, I generally don't get involved. Most agencies throughout the country do not offer you the luxury of malpractice insurance when you are off duty and/or out of your response district. Also, since you are deemed a medical professional, you are not covered by good Samaritan laws. It's a shame that because our society is too litigious, that it is better crouch down and keep on driving, than to stop and help. Nobody has ever said to their attorney, "no, I'm not going to sue that guy in a frivolous lawsuit, because he was only trying to help." I commend you on your compassion and for trying to do the right thing for others, but sometimes you have to live in the gray area and do what is right for you.

There's a chance GS laws may protect him, depending on the laws of the individual state. Some states have laws that protect SOME healthcare professionals when off duty, although I'm not sure what the specific law is in OP's state (or my own, for that matter... some EMT student I am!).

I'm very sorry to hear this. It's entirely logical and understandable but hugely regrettable nonetheless. Hopefully this will be bug-fixed in world 2.0 but until then it is appalling that you and your colleagues are forced to react in this way.

TheyCallMeDamien 17

no good deed goes unpunished

bizarre_ftw 21

No good deed goes unpunished; the true test of humanity

If you were and experienced paramedic you would have kept driving...

No, if you were a douchebag medic you would keep driving.

Read comment #90 for the reason why an experienced medic would NOT stop

One word OP...Kharma! You'll get something good back and he/she will not!