Hang in there

By Anonymous - 02/01/2021 11:01

Today, my dad said he hates gay people. My parents don't know I'm gay. I'm a high school senior. I wish I could just have someone to love and to love me, I just feel so lonely. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 719
You deserved it 2 143

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Ironically, your dad is probably secretly gay. The people who hate gays the most are those who know they are and cannot express it, and they have violent jealousy for those who can.

I would wait til you graduate HS to tell them. And hopefully they wont say "its just a phase." I hope that you can tell them and they accept it. Stay strong

Comments

Jillian Cosby-Kelly 15

one of the most painful things you can go through is to not be accepted by your parents and/or family. but let me just tell you. separating yourself from people that have toxic beliefs is empowering. allow yourself to make up your own truth about the world and how you see it, dont take his skewed reality. he thinks his opinion on another persons LOVE is relevant. if he chooses not to accept your reality, it will hurt for a while, and you should let it. but dont blame yourself for it, because his pain is not your fault. learn from it. there is an ENTIRE world out there, of people just like you and me. people who dont buy their parents or society's intolerant version of reality. people who want to love the way our heart is telling us to, and want to feel the love we know is right. there is nothing wrong with you. you are not perfect, no one is, and those who live by hate are the ones who rarely have a chance to love and be happy.

Hey OP, the internet is there for you. no matter where you live, you can connect with others like you, probably even at your own school.

samomaha 17

Hey, OP. I've been there and I know how you feel because I went throught the exact same feelings back in the late 1970s when I was in high school. As WhoopsIDidItAgain said, finding a few trusted friends to talk with can really help. Daltin Danser is also there for you to DM. These contacts can be extremely important and will really help. Finally, if you are in the United States, you can always call PFLAG helplines: The Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender National Hotline: 888-843-4564, The GLBT National Youth Talkline (youth serving youth through age 25): 800- 246-7743 Both provide telephone, online private one-to-one chat and email peer-support, as well as factual information and local resources for cities and towns across the United States. For trans people, Trans Lifeline: 877-565-8860 is a trans-led organization that connects trans people to the community, support, and resources they need to survive and thrive. I wish these had been around when I was in school as I could have really gained so much help and knowledge from them!

Been there. I ended up homeless because things got so bad at home when they found out. It does get better. I own a nice house, a Tesla, and have friends I consider family. My parents are still homophobic but they’ve mellowed a lot. If you’re in Louisiana or East Texas and need anything, lmk

I want to ******* know who thinks a gay teenager DESERVES to have a homophobic father?

Suaria 38

I know the feeling. I wasn't out in high school to my parents but I came out to them once I moved out and was financially supporting myself. It sucks not having supportive parents. What helped me was joining LGBTQ Facebook groups as a teen and connecting with people who were going through the same stuff as me. I also joined GSA clubs in both high school and college which connected me to people. My parents don't necessarily talk about LGBTQ people anymore but I'm sure they're still homophobic. They just aren't as blatant about it as they used to be.

FatSheep87 2
OldLou 3

You are loved, and you will find love.