Duh…

By Anonymous - 29/09/2009 02:53 - Canada

Today, was my wedding day and I had been preparing my speech for my husband for about 3 months. At the wedding, I poured my heart out to him. Did he do the same? My husband forgot about it and right before the wedding, took his from his first marriage and changed the name. FML
I agree, your life sucks 45 070
You deserved it 4 183

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Comments

at least ,he changed the name of the speech.kick his ass!

Geez fyl but also ydi for expecting more of the average American male!!!!

You serious? Because it totally says the OP is in Canada. Just because they're America's hat doesn't mean they belong in the same group.

Canada is in North America; therefore, Canadians are technically Americans. The fact that people from the United States arrogantly call themselves "Americans" like they are the only ones on the continent doesn't change this.

It's true. When I went to the Dominican Republic (from the U.S.), I was told it would be confusing/offensive if I were to say I'm from America. They're Americans too.

#20 - Okay, let's just ignore the fact that the WHOLE REST OF THE WORLD calls us 'Americans' as well. Get the stick out of your ass. The Dominican Republic isn't even on the American continent, so I don't see why they think they are so entitled to be called 'Americans'. They need to get the sticks out of their asses too and stop bitching about something so inconsequential. The US gives so much in money and manhours to these poor countries and that's all they have to say about us? Wow.

Hawaii's not on the continent either, by your logic Hawaiians aren't American either. Although I will agree that since the Dominican Republic is a SEPARATE COUNTRY, they aren't American, they're Dominican.

It's weird, I know. It's a language issue, sorta like how biweekly is an usable word because it has two conflicting definitions. (Same with "sanction," "ravel," "biweekly," "biannual," etc.) To some, "America" is short for USA. For others, it's North America + South America (which would make more sense if you weren't used to the former).

lem0n_fml 0

Actually, a majority of the world views "America" as both North and South America. And Latin America was the first TRUE America. You know. Where the name came from. North and South were too lazy to think up their own name so they kinda stole it. :) And yeah. Anyone besides Canadians and Mexicos will get pissed if you say you're from America. America isn't only the United States.

lem0n_fml 0

First off, it is "a usable word," when a word starts with the long u sound, it's a, not an. Second off, usable word doesn't even make sense, so I assume you meant unusual word. In which case, your use of "an" is perfectly fine. Second off, last time I checked America is longer than USA by four letters. Third off, biweekly only has one definition last time I checked, and means every other week, which is essentially every two weeks. No one assumes otherwise.

Actually, Lemon, there ARE two conflicting definitions of "biweekly"- the original meaning of the word is "twice a week", which is much more understandable when you consider the way the word is constructed- "bi", two or twice, and "weekly", per week. So, one would assume it should mean "two per week". And where I'm from, that's the ONLY definition, although I've heard others use your definition on the web. If we want to say "once every two weeks", we either say "once every two weeks", "every other week", or "bimonthly". Either way, the English language is kind of retarded. I mean, it is the bastard child of several language bases, what can you expect?

love_fml_a_lot 0

#54 who the **** cares? Get a life.

We are the only Americans . . . In America! BTW-- you're not an American if you don't wear a flag on your head, with our brilliant stars and stripes . . . In America! (BTW, I'm from Hawaii, lol).

lem0n_fml 0

Why, cuz I've never heard biweekly used to mean twice a week? Yeah, makes me a huge moron. Ahahaha.

Yeah, that, plus the fact that you tried to belittle the other poster's post by saying "No one assumes otherwise." when the definition you posted was incorrect, making you look like a tool and, yes, a moron.

#41 - So not true. First of all, my mom is from Russia, and they call us 'Americantsi' (Americans) over there and have never, ever, called us anything else (well, besides derogatory words, maybe). And guess what nickname French president Nicolas Sarkozy has earned from his countrymen? "Sarko L'Americain" Hmm.. that's interesting. I guess they call us Americans over there too. Pretty much every DEVELOPED country does. I could care less what the Third World calls us. P.S. The Chinese call our country Měiguó (美国), which means 'beautiful country.' Is Latin America going to shit its pants over that too?

In Germany we call people from the US "Americans" as well...sometimes, when wanting to be specific we say "U.S. Americans"...because generally in the German language it is technically wrong to refer to the U.S. as "America" and to the inhabitants as "Americans"...because obviously the word America actually refers to the whole continent. But everybody does it and everybody knows who is meant by "Americans"...since people from Mexico and Canada would be Mexicans and Canadians... :p

"The US gives so much in money and manhours to these poor countries and that's all they have to say about us?" What? That they are from the same continent. Yeah, I can see how that'd offend you. I think the benefit of US foreign aid and it's contribution to the development of the third world is overestimated. For example, consistently the largest section in the US foreign 'aid' budget is on weapons, and grants to buy weapons. Donations of weapons to corrupt governments and dangerous organisations which support US views is not really helpping and it is dishonest to classify this as aid. The Mujahideen which formed Al'Quida and the Taliban were a significant benificiar of US foreign 'aid' (while they were fighting the soviet invasion of Afghanistan) - clearly this hasn't turned out too well in the long run. The main US contributions to the world seem to be bombs and agrogant idiots like you. The US is the world number one exporter of weapons, spends the most on weapons, is involved in more wars overseas than any other country and is the only country ever to nuke another country (as the climax of a horrific bombing campaign, aimed at civilians, which killed hundreds of thousands even before the nukes). Given it's stagering willingless to attack other countries, you'd think that the US population would want to be well versed in current affairs and world politics so that they can make informed decisions about which countries their government should bomb the crap out of next. Sadly this does not seem to be the case. Frankly, I think we'd all be better off if they didn't bother.

I personally hate it when people refer to America and they just mean the U.S. They are not all of America. Latin America is a stupid name too, they are not latin, they are hispanic. If you want to be called Latinas and Latinos then learn the language. #80 I agree with you, the U.S. think they are doing everyone a big favour but they are just making it worse. There is no purpose to the "war" they are currently fighting for. "We are fighting so that you can be free." Bull shit you're over there and I am here, how does that work? Oh no I'm losing my freedom help me by killing so poor smuck in a county thousands of miles away. "Patriotism is the willingness to kill and be killed for trivial reasons." - Bernard Russel "War does not determine who is right - only who is left."

What? Canada? I thought it was North Montana.

startafire 0

hey you still got something. sure it's your wedding day and sure it's a big deal but in the end there is always cartoon network to make you feel better.

Weddings have little impact on the marriage to follow. The ceremony itself is mainly appearances.

#20 & #23: I agree that ignorant, arrogant Americans are annoying. However, "American" is like "Dominican"-- part of the country's NAME. You can bitch about it when you start saying "Dominican Republicans" and the like.

lem0n_fml 0

But it's OF America. We are the United States OF America. We aren't America. We specifically say that we are a subgroup of the continent(s) of America. States. That are united. That happen to be located in America. Yes, we're American, but so are the people in every other country in North and South America. On another note, thinking about that, we really weren't very creative with our name, were we?

Your husband has been married before -- he knows the truth. Wedding speeches are either boring or embarrassing. You should have "poured out your heart" to him in private. No one else wants to see that shit. If you think your sentiments are only valid if you announced them to a captive audience, your marriage is already in trouble. You're lucky he just didn't download "The Gettysburg Address" of the internets and palm it off as his own.

Weddings are for women, not for men. Wedding speeches are usually stupid and as the previous poster said, embarrassing. I wouldn't say your husband did the right thing, but who were you trying to impress? Not him, he married you. So you were giving your speech to impress the guests, that's who.