Dress you up

By NotTheFavoriteChild - 03/04/2016 16:53

Today, I asked my mom if she wanted to go wedding dress shopping with me today. She reluctantly said, "I guess…" I showered, shaved, and did my hair and makeup. When I came downstairs, she hadn't even brushed her teeth yet. "I'm just lacking motivation to go," she said. Glad you're so excited too. FML
I agree, your life sucks 20 461
You deserved it 1 599

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Sounds like there's a bigger problem here. It's kind of hard to tell if she's being an asshole of suffering from clinical depression...

I hate to be THAT guy, but just because you're getting married, that doesn't automatically erase everything else. Is your mom sick, either mentally or physically? Did she have a bad night's sleep or a tough day in general? Did she have money to do anything but window shop? Not everyone wants to spend their time preparing for someone else's wedding. She should have been honest and said she wasn't feeling it rather then get you excited, but it doesn't automatically mean she's not excited for your or prefers her other child(ren). Everyone has their own shut to deal with regardless of whether or not you're getting married.

Comments

TomeDr 24

When my daughter and her bridesmaids picked out gowns and dresses, the mother of the groom and I also tried on gowns. I would either try on a gown that just didn't fit me right or have everyone just say "No!" when I finally found one that I really liked. I'm glad my daughter found her gown but I'm dreading shopping again for mine.

Ask your dad? I know it's not right but still he probably would be more excited...

That's ok. she doesn't have to be invited to the wedding either.

Let's not unnecessarily escalate the situation.

AdamTodddBrown 11

Nobody likes weddings. Why drag her along if she's not interested?

Just because you don't like them doesn't mean nobody likes them.

Just grab her wallet and run, if she knows how expensive wedding dresses are, she would definitely start to run. Then when she is in the car say " well I'm glad you had a change in mind".

Or the bride can pay for it herself and not rob her mother of thousands of dollars.

Your wedding is a once in a lifetime thing! And dress shopping should be fun! You should have people there that care about you and are excited for you! On the other hand your mom may be struggling with something more. I'm sorry OP that's gotta be rough, hopefully she cheered up for you (:

I'm just commenting so I can get the badge lmao

stevenbro 6

Just in case it hasn't been said already, weddings that call for expensive dresses, flowers, receptions, etc., etc., are a huge waste of money. It's mostly an ego trip for the parents and something the bride has been convinced via gender stereotypes that she must do. That money can be far, far better spent on education, a house downpayment, or debt repayment. Don't let the wedding industry, and that's what it is, convince you otherwise.

perhaps she is reluctant to let her daughter go :/

Showered, Shaved, did hair AND Make-up..... I thank God everyday i am not a woman. A guy would have at best showered. No make-up and/or hair-do, and shave if it was necessary. (I think that all this beard trend was started by some guy who was really lazy and didn't want to shave.. Other guys quickly caught on to that, some went overboard with the man buns and crazy hair styles). Congratulations on your wedding :)