Don't feed the trolls

By jacobianscum - 29/11/2015 07:05 - New Zealand - East Tamaki

Today, after 3 months of successful business at my restaurant, sales are down the shitter. Why? Because some no-life troll started posting loads of bad reviews online. He uses different names, but nothing in the reviews has ever happened. We can't get the reviews taken down. FML
I agree, your life sucks 27 720
You deserved it 1 636

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Counter troll with positive reviews. Get your friends to do it too as well as satisfied customers.

I agree with 1. I had a little trouble with the same thing a couple months ago.

Comments

That is slander and you can have him sued for that

Contact the website explain the situation this is deformation of character

I'm truly sorry to hear that people don't realize they can destroy somebody's reputation in business with comments like that especially on the Internet these days

It is likely this person actually does realise that and it is probable that is his goal.

Well if you find out who the guy is give him the yelper's special. *Que music*

Counter the reviews with good ones. Get your friends and family to help you out too. Also, you can get the authorities involved because that's defamation. It's happened to me on Facebook.

As someone who has aspirations to be a business owner it's scary to know people are this evil.

As a restaurant owner, I understand just how powerful reviews are and how gut-wrenching a bad one is. You mention that you've been doing well for 3 months, so I'll assume this is a new restaurant. After opening, an initial boom in business is common before it regulates itself. This is where marketing comes in. Never underestimate the power of social media. The best thing that you can do regarding the bad reviewer(s) is to apologize for their experience, and ask them to call/email you with the details; day/time, server's name, what they ordered, and the problems. Invite them to give you another chance with a free meal. Do not make accusations or get angry. The more pleasant you are, the better your chances of that review being edited or taken down. It also shows potential patrons that you really care about your customers. If the reviewers do not respond, then let the site know you may be getting harassed and ask them to check the IPs the of the reviews. The duplicates may be pulled down. There is no need to take it past that unless the reviewer does. That being said, you need to take an honest look at your restaurant, from your staff to your kitchen cleanliness and even the base products you order in. Just because you did not KNOW of the incidents does not mean they did not occur, and just because they do not NORMALLY occur does not mean that a fluke did not occur. Assume, unless the claims are insane, like they found a human finger, that they happened, and treat it as a real problem. I have gone to restaurants and found shards of metal, plastic wrap, and more in food. Some of these were caused by ill-attentive kitchen staff and others by an issue with the pre-fab product that was ordered. Before I owned a restaurant I would stop eating, pay, leave without a word, and never go back. It was only once I got into the business that I realized the importance of letting managers know what it really going on. Find out where the issue is and make the necessary changes. Finally, while offering a discount or free desert for an HONEST review is a great way to boost your rating, DO NOT be that guy who purchases fake positive reviews. These are not hard to detect, and, like with Amazon, the prevalence causes many Yelpers and Trip Advisor users to ignore shallow positive reviews. If you get caught faking reviews, you will be called on it and your business will suffer. TL;DR - Fellow restaurant owner says that even if reviews are fake to treat them as if they are real. Apologize to reviewers, have YELP look for duplicate IPs, and audit restaurant to ensure high quality. Social media and bonuses for honest reviews = Good. Purchasing good reviews or blaming customers = Bad.

Some folks are complete **** heads. Good luck getting them takin down.