Creepy

By Anonymous - This FML is from back in 2014 but it's good stuff - United States - Tobyhanna

Today, I had to explain to my father that when my friends sleep over, it's not acceptable to sneak into my room in the middle of the night and dig through their stuff. FML
I agree, your life sucks 55 959
You deserved it 4 490

Top comments

lilmslady 11

yeah thats not weird at all....

rdenkewicz 11

He must love the Patriot Act!

Comments

I honestly cannot decide if that's just weird and inappropriate or seriously screwed up.

Maybe he was making sure they dont have drugs and just looking out for you.

That still not an acceptable reason to go through other children's things.

buttcramp 21

Actually it is. this man is the homeowner and head of the household. these kids were under his roof, where he makes the rules. this didn't break a law.

So if I have friends over at my house, I can beat them up and take all of their stuff? Great!

#41 - he may be the homeowner, but that definitely does not give him the right to sneak into a room and look through peoples things. especially when said people are NOT part of his family.

Just because someone is on your property does not mean you can ignore basic privacy and laws.

buttcramp 21

in Texas, if you feel threatened you can shoot a person and it's alright. if this man thought someone was bringing guns or drugs into his home, it's justified.

#66 Maybe by law it's justified, but that doesn't make it ok. It's extremely rude and unacceptable to search through a child's things when they aren't even your child. His roof or not, he has no business doing that.

buttcramp 21

I never said it was polite! I was just making a point that the father was probably suspicious and acted on it. I would hate if this happened to me. on the other hand, at least OP's dad cares about her (unless he really was looking for panties!) I went through addiction and my parents were so ******* oblivious that when i eventually asked for help they had no idea I had been high for half my life! so while I agree this isn't at all a nice or even morally right thing to do, this is only half the story.

buttcramp 21

if the father had suspicion of a gun being brought into his house, then the law applies.

Because I'm sure a bunch of (I'm assuming) teenage girls would bring guns to a sleepover. You're really struggling to try to justify your comment, when in reality he's probably just nothing more than a creep.

Yeah, he or his family would have to be in immediate peril of death or bodily injury to justify the use of violence, and even then it would only justify the use of violence, not snooping through a guest's things. That's just stupid. And this is an uber-pro-second-amendment-gun-owner-and-concealed-weapon-carrier talking. Check the location. And I don't know what the laws are regarding his concern for illegal drug use in his home, but morally he'd only have the right to snoop through his own child's things, and even then it's pretty controversial.

If I was around somebody I thought would be trying to find my underwear, I might bring a gun... Wondering how old they are, ie under or over 18.

I would be moving out. As soon as possible

she sounds like she is in her early teens, might take a fee years before she can move out, she could always just have sleep overs at her friends house

i think your dad needs to be taught what the word "privacy" means.

Nicole819 11

didn't mean to hit thumbs down . I agree

I'm forbidden to use the lock on my bedroom door when I'm at my dad's house.

buttcramp 21

forbidden to use the lock? is your father worried about potential emergencies?

Whenever I am in my room I lock the door, I don't know how you can do it…

arandomusernameaa 20

At least you guys have a lock on your door :'(

vencku 13

At least you guys have a door! I got the first door to my bedroom when I turned 20.

It was really his girlfriend who forbidden me to use it, not so much as my dad. She promised that if I did disobey that rule, she would take it right off my door.

Nicole819 11

parents are too nosey, they go searching for stuff but get mad when they find something they don't like. smh don't go looking then !

Umm, the reason they go looking is to make sure there isn't anything they don't like.

Nicole819 11

okay but everyone makes their own decisions and its not his kids things to be going through . its nosey and disrespectful to look through things that don't belong to you .

Well, looking through friends' items is unacceptable. But, it is their house, so checking their own child's things to make sure basic rules like no drugs is somewhat understandable, and you could easily justify checking for signs they're having sex if underage. Thankfully my parents always trusted us and I think that's the far better way, but I don't think checking for things is particularly unusual. I don't agree with it really, but it's not uncommon.

Nicole819 11

being under aged its not that bad for parents to go through their child's things but once they hit a certain age its not that understandable any more . the main point I was making is that its not his kids things so he's being disrespectful and privacy and trust plays a big part in whether you go through a child's things or not . maybe its different based on how you use your parenting but I guess everyone has their own opinion and views on the situation .

I agree with you. The part I don't agree with is when you said "smh don't go looking then".

Looks like it's time to keep their things behind a locked door...