CPS FML

By Anonymous - 28/06/2015 05:13 - United States - Corona

Today, after my daughter told half her class about my retainer, I advised her to keep mummy's personal details personal. Now she responds, "I'm not supposed to tell" to any question regarding our home life. Thus far, I've received six very concerned calls. FML
I agree, your life sucks 26 023
You deserved it 2 640

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I'm wondering why they would call? What were the questions in the first place? I'd like to hear a follow up.

I feel like people ask "how is mommy?" or something simple like that. If I asked how their mom is but they only said "I'm not supposed to talk about it" I'd get concerned. Would like a follow up from OP.

Comments

I know it may seem nosey but they're just interested in the child's welfare. We live in a day and age where children are molested, exploited etc and when a child says "they don't want to talk about their home life" they're just concerned that something may be wrong. Perhaps you could just explain to the school and try explaining it to your child (:

Children being molested has nothing to do with this day and age, that ALWAYS happened. We are just paying more attention...

I'm not clear at to why your child telling her classmates about your retainer made you uncomfortable...I don't blame the parents/teachers for their concern, "I'm not supposed to tell" is a strange thing for a child to say when asked about their home life.

Probably a really young mom who is probably single and looking for a possible father from one of those children in her child's class?

Or, it is just her own personal business and would rather a bunch of children going home to gossiping parents and telling them. Many young kids don't understand the concept of personal vs public issues unfortunately, and it can be hard to teach them to differentiate between the two. I'm sorry OP, that sucks, just try to explain it to your kid and power through the phone calls.

least theyre not going to grow up to be a snitch , haha. let the thumbs down begin.

People like you who give "snitching" a negative stigma are the reason why crime rates are as high as they are, whether you're joking or not.

sorry if it sounds ignorant but whats a retainer

aislinn_skye 10

It's a thing you put in your mouth to keep your teeth in place after you've been through having braces.

With the gift of the Internet, you don't know how to use a search engine?

I don't know which retainer applies in this situation.

There's several different meanings of retainer (none I know to be embarrassing in my opinion) so that kinda mixes up the Googling a bit.

I don't understand what was wrong with a little girl telling kids about a retainer.

Just tell concerned callers you are trying to teach her an important safety lesson about not broadcasting personal details. And be glad you have people concerned about your daughter :)

CliffyB03 28

Okay, so when you said retainer, I'm thinking the braces kind of retainer. Is there a different kind of retained that I'm unaware of?

I feel like there must be a second meaning of retainer that I don't know about if it's that personal... Again I don't see why people are being freaked out that the topic of home and your family might come up at school in conversation. It's innocent enough. It's just usually vaguely concerning when you ask a child something and they say that an adult has told them they aren't allowed to talk about it, it makes it sound like something weird happened.

It's just a phone call. Not like they sent social services.