Commission demon

By TheNewSalesRep - 21/01/2016 02:37 - Canada - Brantford

Today, on my second day at my new job, my supervisor told me that I was ready to make a sale on my own. Things were going well, until said supervisor interrupted my sales pitch, apologized on my behalf for being new, and stole my sale. FML
I agree, your life sucks 22 438
You deserved it 1 365

Same thing different taste

Top comments

So unprofessional! Best revenge is to become a better salesperson than him.

Holy shit. At least you know why so many sales people are territorial as hell when it comes to a customer. good luck in dealing with that jerk.

Comments

welcome to the real world where everyone is not as nice as you have ever thought and where even your "friends" will be secretly doing harm on you at work

snarkytruth 37

Did you ask what you did wrong or how you could have done it better? Always ask so you can improve your game. That way it also makes him defend his actions if he was only stealing your commission. If it was your first sale it's going to be pretty rough n awkward. He should have let you fail instead of embarrass you. Maybe he is trying to make you mad so you'll improve faster. A lot of kids if they do poorly but make the sale by luck or sympathetic buyer can think they're great and refuse to improve or listen. Or he is just a jerk. Learn all you can from him and take those skills else where. Good luck

Badkarma4u 17

There is no way a sales manager is going to "let someone fail" and let business walk out the door.

snarkytruth 37

#23 You don't have to go so far as let the customer leave the store to give the kid enough room to fail on his own and then step in to recover the sale and explain the situation. It's not either /or, he can do both. A Good Professional Supervisor: New employee botches it. Old dog - excuse me ma'am maybe I can be of assistance this is OPs first day. After customer leaves, give pointers to the OP how he could've improved it. Before long you have a dynamite sales team and a very happy store owner. Raises for everyone! (shut up and just let me dream a little while will ya. I know that's not what you usually end up getting )

I guess he didn't like what you were saying, but he should have waited until after to analyze the interaction and give you pointers.

lexiieeex3 32

Maybe it was some sort of test of your abilities or to see how you would do in a difficult situation like that?

Without knowing much more then the Op's opinion here, I think that it is not as bad as itseems to be. OP might think things were going to sale, but the experienced salesman saw that the client was losing intrest and rather then having the sale being lost, took it over. One might argue that sure, grabbing your sale was not a nice thing to do, but second day of the job, you getting your own sales is problebly not a guarantee. If it keeps up though, perhaps its time to do the sales solo instead, but a one time thing when you are in training... I dont see much sign of douchebaggery.

What an asshat. I knew the sales job market was cutthroat but not that cutthroat. Better luck getting sales next time.

neuronerd 28

Maybe he saw you were failing, and stepped in before letting that sale walk out the door. Since he's your supervisor, you should be able to ask what you were doing wrong and how to improve. He should, however, at least split the commission of that sale with you.

That reminds me... When I was 17 I worked for a popular department store. It was my first week, and I can't remember why but my coworker has me checkout someone with $500 of merchandise under his employee number. We were paid commission so basically I did all the work and he got paid. I just wanted to help because I wanted to keep the job but afterwards I realized what an asshole move it was -_-

Badkarma4u 17

Were you educating and not closing. I watched many new sales reps go on and on about the product, only to looose the sale by causing information overload on the customers side, instead of asking for the sale. He may have noticed you overselling it, and stepped in and closed. Sometimes your whole pitch is unessesary. If they are ready to buy when they walk up, close and move on.