Camouflage

By allbrokeup - This FML is from back in 2012 but it's good stuff - Norway - Stavanger

Today, while I was removing my makeup with my boyfriend watching, he mentioned that he used to think girls were prettier without makeup on, but he'd now changed his mind. FML
I agree, your life sucks 30 922
You deserved it 3 469

Same thing different taste

Top comments

On the plus side, make up is supposed to make you prettier, so you must be doing it right! Lol

To which you reply, "Kinda like the way I've realised size DOES matter."

Comments

So is it safe to assume its now the Ex boyfriend(I hope so)

I wear minimal make-up (if any at all) as well but I disagree that make-up invariably ages you and makes your skin bad. And if you can't see someone's concealed spots, that's because they've done a good job.

I always get a chuckle when guys say girls look better without makeup because they tend to point out girls who are still wearing a bit of foundation and lip gloss. Like how magazines show pictures of celebrities "without makeup"...yet they're obviously just wearing their "day makeup" and not the heavier night stuff. Which isn't to say that there aren't the girls who look amazing without makeup. But many of us do need to cover pores, redness, pimples, and scars. So when you say a girl has great skin, she might just be wearing amazing makeup. If she knows how to apply it properly, it CAN be hard to tell if she's even wearing any (which IMO should be the point of makeup. It's there to cover flaws and enhance features you want enhanced. Don't just slather it on for the Oompa Loompa look).

Hehe, your comment reminds me of my boyfriend. He was also talking about how most girls were prettier without make-up, while pointing to a girl who was obviously wearing mascara, eye shadow and fond-de-teint. And everytime he sees a woman without any make-up on, he has to comment on how hideous and old they look.

Some guys I know after being corrected about the "natural looking" girls. Would end up correcting themselves "I like girls who at least wear make up so subtlety that I don't notice she is. The only think that can stand is eyeliner & lipstick. That's cute." So funny, if they hang out with girls they just want a natural, effortless look.

You must know how to put it on then, in order for him to realize and appreciate the art and science of makeup. Lots of guys can be total dicks in relationships but I'm sure he meant it in the best way possible. I really don't mind my girl going minimalistic with her makeup but for Valentine's this year she put on some silver eyeshadow and she looked lovely and... well... You know... >_>

Whenever men say "girls are prettier without makeup on", in fact, we just want to say "we love rather a girl who is pretty if she doesn't put on makeup than every girls who do." The former is the abbreviation of the latter.

Rosie_Posie43 12

Well make up enhances your beauty. Its not like you're a hideous monster, but when you remove your make up there's gonna be a noticeable difference when you do a good job with it. It's a compliment to your skills.

If you don't think makeup makes you prettier, why do you spend so much time and money on it?

Because makeup is a fun accessory like any clothes, jewelry or shoes?

"Point i'm making is is even in movies and tv shows etc when the actresses have spots, you can still see them, even when they've had a professional working on them to hide it. " I'm sorry, but I don't believe that. Why hire make-up professionals if they don't change a thing?

You've obviously being doing your makeup really well if he never realised you'd look different without it. And I think a lot of guys say they prefer the no makeup look, but maybe they're talking about nude lip gloss and simple eye makeup. My guy friends (and some of the girls even) only realise I'm wearing makeup if I do something obvious like eyeliner flicks or red lipstick. Otherwise, they assume that, because I'm pale, I'm not wearing makeup. I don't think they realise you can buy makeup that isn't golden coloured. They always use me as an example of "no makeup". I bet they'd be as surprised as your boyfriend if I took it off. Most people look different with makeup.

I don't get how that's an insult. Makeups supposed to make you prettier. If it made you ugly why would anyone put it on...

DoxIxHAVExTo 10

I understand why most are telling OP that she deserved it or go "wear less make up, dude, seriously" or, like you, just don't understand what the big deal is, but can we just agree with the fact that what the boyfriend did here was a dick move? Yeah, makeup makes you look "prettier" - that's the point, and that's why so many girls wear it. They're insecure about what they really look like, so they need to cover their face up with makeup to feel good. So when her boyfriend made that comment, it wasn't just a small quip but it was a more personal blow to OP's self-esteem; so much so that she felt it was an FML. So seriously, **** that guy. And for people who "don't get why girls wear makeup" then this is why. Of course there's always going to be other reasons why girls wear makeup and it's not just a self-esteem thing, but in this case it clearly was and OP's boyfriend was a d-bag.