Boundaries

By Anonymous - 24/09/2023 16:00

Today, as I'm 7 months pregnant and craving sweets, I helped myself to my MIL's birthday cake a little early. The family got so angry, they actually made me leave the party. My husband agreed with them. FML
I agree, your life sucks 139
You deserved it 2 535

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Taking part of someone else's birthday cake before they're ready for it to be served is not ok. "I'm pregnant and craving sweets" isn't a valid excuse - in that case, you either bring sweets with you, ask someone at the party if there's anything sweet you can snack on or go out to get yourself something.

That's pretty ****** up on your part. You couldn't find anything else sweet to get you through the cake ceremony?

Comments

Taking part of someone else's birthday cake before they're ready for it to be served is not ok. "I'm pregnant and craving sweets" isn't a valid excuse - in that case, you either bring sweets with you, ask someone at the party if there's anything sweet you can snack on or go out to get yourself something.

Cravings suck, but they won't kill you if you don't indulge them. That was not your cake to eat. If you'd just waited you would have had it with permission.

That's pretty ****** up on your part. You couldn't find anything else sweet to get you through the cake ceremony?

pregnancy and cravings are no excuse. you knew there was gonna be candles and a cake cutting. it wasn't yours to cut. you made the choice to be disrespectful. I would have made you leave too. signed, a mother of 4

You deserved it, you foul mannered, selfish brat. I feel for your poor husband.

nammavic1 11

No self control. You must weigh 500 lbs.

YDI. They were right to kick you out. You don't get a free pass for ruining your MIL's birthday for being pregnant. Control your self entitlement. Next you're going to tell your kid they owe you because you gave birth to them (they don't).

HouseOfM 8

That is really immature. You also seem surprised at the lack of support. If it keeps happening I see a divorce in the future.

What a selfish b*tch you are. YDI. Sorry that you are raising kids.

Okay so you shouldn't have eaten the cake early - that's on you. But making you leave the party early is ridiculous. It's just a cake. That's on them. You husband not being on your side over something as trivial as a cake...red flag.

It's not just cake. It's extremely selfish and disrespectful and must have been extremely embarrassing to both OP's husband and MIL.

The presenting of the cake, group celebration, blowing out of the candles, and cake cutting is often a major event of a birthday celebration, with some people putting a lot of effort, time, and money into the cake. Her cutting into it beforehand is anywhere from very rude and a slap in the face to those who planned and prepared the party to, if this was a major milestone birthday with a lot of planning behind it, equivalent to cutting into a wedding cake at a formal reception. I'm guessing from the description, it's somewhere in the middle, but ultimately it doesn't matter. The family still had every right to have her leave.