Behind closed doors

By Anonymous - This FML is from back in 2013 but it's good stuff - United States - Mansfield

Today, my wife brought my 5-year-old daughter to visit me at the office. My boss has a speech impediment, and when she heard it, she exclaimed, "Hey my daddy can sound just like you! Show him daddy! Show him!" FML
I agree, your life sucks 22 214
You deserved it 45 099

Top comments

Honestly, you should never make fun of someone's disabilities. YDI on this one.

Well you sure deserve it if you're mocking someone with a speech impediment in front of your daughter... Way to set a good example

Comments

Does making fun of someone make you feel better about yourself? How about making fun of someone over something they have no control over? How about doing it in front of your daughter? You must be very proud of yourself.

He won't be very proud once he loses his job; which is what he deserves.

But isn't it the most wrong things make you laugh? I don't encourage making fun of challenged people but, all OP did was, in a way, find light in a dark place. I honestly don't see why people with disabilities take offense to things like this, that being said I don't have any but if you do, why not laugh about it?

102-Because it's called a disability for a reason. While I agree that everyone should be able to laugh at themselves once in a while, what OP did was make fun of somebody behind their back, to none other than their toddler. That's uncalled for. If you're good friends and you know they aren't insecure about their disability then sure, go ahead. But otherwise, it's an uncalled for dick move.

103- why call it a disability? Why can't we look at it as a person's features instead of something that's doesn't allow them to do things. I understand that in legal terms disabilities should be considered when making laws. socially however that shouldn't be considered as a bad thing that when made fun of, a person with "disabilities" should just go along with and maybe then, it's not such a terrible thing.

Because that opens the door for people to make fun disabled people and there would be no consequences. By the way that is called bullying

tmmundy 17

#102 are you REALLY that stupid to think that would be okay?

I'm not a bully, far from it actually. I just don't see why you can't laugh with a disabled person and let them know that it isn't so bad, not at them.

You can always count on a kid to say exactly the wrong thing, completely innocently too. That's karma for you, though.

xD don't say things in front of 5 year olds

Kids say the darnedest things....dipshit parents seem to forget that

jmayes414 5

Sometimes I get the impression that half the people on FML are morally perfect. o.o (@ all the comments exclaiming what he did was wrong)

It WAS wrong! There's a difference between being perfect and calling someone out for acting like an asshole. I'm not perfect, but I would tease someone over something like this!

cause you just LOVE all the bosses you had, right? and all the teachers, and all the superior images in your life. get over yourself.

maimengming 10

But 48, there is something called respect. Just because you may not like your doesn't mean you can be rude and hurtful. Besides the fact that mocking others is cruel, your boss can easily fire you. Don't tell 37 to get over herself when she was right.

CharresBarkrey 15

I've had plenty of bosses and teachers that I haven't liked who happened to have disabilities or things they can't control. I have never once made fun of them for that. That's a low blow, and shows you have extremely poor character to pick out the ONE thing you know they can't defend or change. That's something a small child does.

I agree 91, don't know why you were thumbed down.

#27 I agree. We aren't all perfect little angels, but I know where you draw the line. I don't go around making fun of mentally ill or people with disabilities. That's just low . You would make fun of a person missing an arm?

CharresBarkrey 15

97 - It's all those people who think I'm a hypocrite to try to justify their own bullying and make themselves feel like they're not such a small, small person. In reality, I don't make fun of people or put them down, simply because I have never felt the need, nor have I ever wanted to make myself feel "bigger" than them for something so petty.

You don't need to be morally perfect to know that making fun of the disabled is horrible. Real high moral standards you seem to have there...

You feel it's wrong, then go on to say you'd do it too? Besides, there is a big difference between a speech impediment caused by some physical malformation of the mouth, and something like stuttering. The former often requires surgery and extensive therapy to correct, while the latter tends to be psychological, and can be overcome with hard work. The OP isn't specific as to which, yet many people are concluding the boss is disabled. That all said, while I generally refrain from making fun of people for things they cannot help, that goes out the window if the person concerned acts like an asshole. I don't know if the boss is, but it's something to keep in mind.

You're setting such a good example by talking behind someone's back in front of your kid. I'm hoping you will have to do the crappy jobs at the office for now on.

jessughka 10

I have no idea what you mean and what a blue steele is, actually.. Care to explain? (I'm seriously hoping I don't sound like an idiot right now)

You guys are dumb asses he said it was "HIS DAUGHTER" that said it. But why say FML to a speech inpendment? It's not that bad.

"HIS DAUGTHER" said it because he obviously mocks him while at home.. that's how his daughter knew he could do it..

One day your boss will look back on this and laugh... because he fired your dumbass!

kc1997kc 9

I know people love assuming the worst about the OP, and in this situation it's most likely true. However, depending on the speech impediment he may not have been mocking his boss. Some speech impediments can be hidden if you really work on them. It could be he has one as well and just hides it at work. It could also be that he was repeating something he said and attempting to use his voice, which I know my dad has done since I was really little, regardless of if a person has a speech problem, higher voice, or lower voice.