Awks

By hungryman - 14/07/2009 21:10 - Canada

Today, my girlfriend's mom pulled me aside and started telling me about how her daughter was extremely depressed and suicidal before she met me, and how happy her family is because of me. I was planning on breaking up with her within the next week. FML
I agree, your life sucks 54 651
You deserved it 9 104

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Wow...That's a mind **** for sure. The fact that you thought about it tells me you are a good person. You have to do what's best for you though. You can keep her as a friend and support her.

You can't be responsible for someone else's happiness. Don't be in the relationship if you don't want to. Sucks, but that's life.

Comments

sdawl 0

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

If she is stupid enough to kill herself over a guy, let her. You dont have to be with her if you dont want to be.

You're not responsible for her actions. I've seen people threaten suicide if their boyfriend or girlfriend breaks up with them, it's manipulative and a form of emotional blackmail #33. He shouldn't be forced to stay with and be responsible for someone who can't take care of themselves. It is not his fault if she's so unstable she does something unfortunate, only someone who doesn't like taking personal responsibility for their own actions would think so. There's a difference between being supportive and staying in an unhealthy relationship in which the other person's happiness is completely reliant upon the condition of having a partner. That's not love, that's obsession.

just like... make her not like you anymore. do everything that turns her off, and soon enough she will dump you.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
sashaingreyscale 0

I think you missed the *claim* part. from personal experience, the people who say they're depressed and suicidal are usually doing it for attention. the ones who really are depressed and or suicidal tend to not talk about it.

yeah and the mom was the one who told him right? not the gf? which kinda just makes the situation worseee if the dude didn't know that she was suicidal or depressed before....

123sploosh 0

whats the deal with you heart less **** bitches? he should care about her. **** all you guys i hope that you alll die veryyyy slowly and painfully

thecoralreef731 0

yeah, be there for her. that last thing you would want on ur conscience is a dead girl. don't get married per say, but try to be there at least as friends

WTF 33! I was in a relationship with a suicidal girl who kept cheating on me but I couldn't dump her cause I cared and I was scared that she will kill herself. That is just emotional abuse and no one should have to put up with it. Its their problem, not yours.

regenzie 0

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

I think you shouldn't b so harsh about it. try putting yourself in her shoes. don't be so selfish. you can't help if someone has depression, just as much as you can't help if you had ADHD or add or something like that. you can't control it. so don't b so harsh on people. that's how people get hurt.

If it isn't working, stringing her along and pretending to love her will only hurt her more in the end

mikakarie 0

Haha that reminded me of nike. Just do it. I agree though. Op should do it. Maybe she realizes life is worth living now and her happiness isn't based on him.

So what's your plan, #42? He should just stay with this girl BECAUSE she's crazy? You're a stupid shit, you know that? OP should definitely just do it. All this incident is is evidence that he shouldn't wait until next week

thtnerdykid 0

#114, While #42 Could Have Written A Plan, How Is He A Stupid Shit For Actually Caring For The Girl's Feelings? Now I Would Be Stuck Too, I Don't Want To Be Responsible For Suicide, But I Don't Want To Be With Someone I Don't Like!

jaymoney 0
todayiwroteafml 0

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

That's like saying "easy, stay with a girl you don't like for the rest of your life. Be married, have kids, and be miserable" then HE will be the one that's depressed and suicidal... so what now?

Sounds like typical marriage,,... :))

awh, well if she's not the one then you have to break up with her:( that sucks though man

Wow...That's a mind **** for sure. The fact that you thought about it tells me you are a good person. You have to do what's best for you though. You can keep her as a friend and support her.

I went through this with the girl who is now my ex... she's fine now and were really good friends

EmilyFelton98 0

That's A real Good Answer :)

You can't be responsible for someone else's happiness. Don't be in the relationship if you don't want to. Sucks, but that's life.

This x1000. Do not stay in this relationship because you feel guilty for the girl. It isn't good for either of you. You cannot be held responsible for this girl's happiness. If anything, she needs some serious help, not a relationship. Be there for her as a friend, and make sure she has plenty of support, but do not let yourself be guilted into staying in an unhappy relationship.

If you still wanna break up with her you should really rethink your motives (why you want to break up with her in the first place) and explain it delicately to her instead of doing it fast via text or phone call. Or, maybe you can just give it a couple of weeks and see how it goes? Hope it all works out for you and her.

My brother's ex was clinically depressed. It sucks, but you just have to let her know that this isn't working for you anymore. Let her down as gently as possible, and try to make sure she has a support group. Be there as a friend, if possible, though it will probably take some time before you two can just be friends. Let her heal from the breakup, but offer to be there to help her with any other problems she may have.