All over the place

By unluckyinlove - 05/09/2021 00:31 - Australia - Ridgehaven

Today, I found out my boyfriend of 5 years cheated on me and now has a 4 year old, and as he’s told me, we should get married. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 086
You deserved it 84

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I'll tell you the same thing I'd tell a man. If you provide assistance, financial or parenting and the kid sees you as a parent, you'll be financially liable for child support if you 2 separate. Just because the kid needs another parent, doesn't obligate you to help care for his mistake.

since he was a boyfriend of five years, and he has a kid of four, I truly hope you meant ex-boyfriend, or you are in for a rough life

Comments

The kid needs a mom and I guess the real one isn't interested. You could have a kid without the pain of childbirth. Win-win!

Nice, it's like you bought the family starter combo pack.

I'll tell you the same thing I'd tell a man. If you provide assistance, financial or parenting and the kid sees you as a parent, you'll be financially liable for child support if you 2 separate. Just because the kid needs another parent, doesn't obligate you to help care for his mistake.

Ambrily 27

I don't think the kid is OP's, but the woman he cheated on OP with.

Nikki 16

That’s not the case in Australia, unless the kid is biologically yours you don’t have to pay anything

I can't even say it's concrete in the US. All depends on the judge in family court, but I've read of non-biological relation paying child support. Ranging from the mother cheated and lied to the husband all the way to a man stepping in and helping raise a child that's not his, but ends up paying child support because they filled the role at one time. I know the roles are reversed in this situation, but no reason for OP to take a chance being put in that situation with someone already untrustworthy.

What? No, that is NOT how that works. AT ALL. If it isn't your kid, and you didn't adopt it, under no circumstances are you financially liable for it.

You need to read some more child support cases then. Yes, it does happen.

As someone that pays child support and has studied it for 14 years, I know more about it than a child than almost any child support lawyer. Unless they signed the birth certificate that it was their kid (even if it wasn't), or they went around saying it was their child (even if it wasn't), then under no circumstances would they be financially liable.

Is Google, duck duck or any number of search engines broken for you? Searching "paying child support for someone else's child" will bring news articles and sites covering that issue with varying degreess. I'll clue you in a fact for people like you. ......YOUR INDIVIDUAL CASE AND SITUATION DOESN'T COVER EVERY HEMISPHERE, COUNTRY, STATE, PROVINCE, COUNTY, CITY, BOROUGH OR DISTRICT IN THE WORLD. NOR DOES YOUR OUTCOME APPLY TO EVERYONE SINGLE CASE...... That's all you know, your individual case.

since he was a boyfriend of five years, and he has a kid of four, I truly hope you meant ex-boyfriend, or you are in for a rough life

Ok, since nobody's told you the obvious yet: RUN. FAST. And FAR. And never look back. It sucks ass for the kid, but you don't have to stay with his dickbag male genitor (I doubt he's much of a father) for his sake.