By screwedover - 27/10/2018 14:09 - Australia

Today, 4 weeks after I told my housemate I was moving out, she told me she expects me to continue paying rent beyond when I leave, despite giving her plenty of notice. Now I'm dealing with lawyers and it's more drama than I can handle. FML
I agree, your life sucks 3 961
You deserved it 369

RAlyf tells us more.

OP here. I was on the lease. I was approved to go off the lease, as someone else was moving into the house. 3 bedroom house, 2 people on the lease, I move out, someone else moves in. The real estate agent changed his mind about me going off the lease because the new chick wasn’t going into my room - which he can’t actually do - and the lease doesn’t specify who is in which room. The real estate agent has been unprofessional towards me and never once helped me - but ex housemate is a narcissistic toxic liar, so who knows what lies she’s spread about me... Plot twist - the owner is moving back into the house, so my ex housemate and her new housemate now have to vacate and I’m footing half the cleaning bills etc because I’m sick of fighting and want to cut this chick out of my life!

Top comments

Do you have a lease? Are you breaking your lease? You should be discussing this with your landlord, not your housemate and if you're breaking the lease and leaving her on the hook for everything than you deserve it.

If your name is being removed from the lease, you're no longer required to pay rent. There should be no need for lawyers. Have your landlord tell your housemate that you will be removed from the lease, and the rent is her responsibility, if you don't share with anyone else.

Comments

chessu 21

Have you signed a contract/lease? At least in the UK there is usually some sort of a clause that you are leasing it for the whole of x amount of time (usually a year) and even if you give month's notice you are still expected to cover the rent. So to get out of that, it's your responsibility to find a suitable tenant before you leave. I'd make you pay as well and I also feel like lawyers may be taking it a bit far. However, the house I currently live in, I believe I haven't signed any actual contracts (it was a rushed move in 3 years ago, so to be honest, I have no clue at this point) and based on house mates who have left (without finding new tenants), it indeed is a month's notice and the rest of the house will have to deal with it in which case FYL. That being said, this situation is quite rare and/or subletting via Spareroom or something.

Rsonicgamer 12

That's just stupid. What would be the point of the notice if you still had to pay the rent beyond its duration ? I mean, they can't forbid you to leave the premises if you pay the rent, right ? You must have misunderstood something or British leasing rules be very stupid...

chessu 21

No, of course they can't forbid you to leave. But e.g. in my university town nearly all companies that would even let to students would always do a 11-month or sometimes even 11 and a half month lease. Most students only need 9 realistically, so they're doing it two get 2 months of extra rent with no one actually using the house because they can as that is the students' only option. So, if I now dropped out 6-months in, I can give as much notice I want, because my lease is 11 months it is my responsibility to make sure they receive my part of it regardless of if I live there or not. If I were to find another tenant, they would have to sign a new lease (for extra cost of a couple of hundred) which would probably be the length of 11 months minus whatever time has already passed and only then I'd be off the hook. I've done Spareroom after university and not signed any proper contracts since, but I imagine though less anal, the practice isn't too different elsewhere. There's just probably more options of renting straight from the owner or doing shorter contracts cause you're not longer a student and are a professional, therefore less of a hazard and harder to rob and scare into unfair leases.

Unless you're sticking her with the rest of the lease, she really can't do that.

OP here. I was on the lease. I was approved to go off the lease, as someone else was moving into the house. 3 bedroom house, 2 people on the lease, I move out, someone else moves in. The real estate agent changed his mind about me going off the lease because the new chick wasn’t going into my room - which he can’t actually do - and the lease doesn’t specify who is in which room. The real estate agent has been unprofessional towards me and never once helped me - but ex housemate is a narcissistic toxic liar, so who knows what lies she’s spread about me... Plot twist - the owner is moving back into the house, so my ex housemate and her new housemate now have to vacate and I’m footing half the cleaning bills etc because I’m sick of fighting and want to cut this chick out of my life!

So you're off the lease already? Don't pay anything else, you don't have to. Block their numbers and force them to go through official channels. If they want money let them drag it to remediation first.

unless you broke a lease that's nothing she can do.