By Imthatfirstguy1 - 10/04/2018 15:00

Today, I owe about $18,000 for a useless degree. Why? I graduated in 2016 from the ITT Technical Institute, a few months before the school shut down for good. The kicker? They misspelled my name on the diploma. FML
I agree, your life sucks 4 638
You deserved it 479

Same thing different taste

Top comments

"Students who attended ITT Tech may be able to have their debt forgiven by applying to the US Department of Education for a borrower defense to repayment.[5]" Right from wiki. your welcome.

Legally change the spelling of your name. I don't think it costs that much.

Comments

Legally change the spelling of your name. I don't think it costs that much.

"Students who attended ITT Tech may be able to have their debt forgiven by applying to the US Department of Education for a borrower defense to repayment.[5]" Right from wiki. your welcome.

"might" would be more accurate then may. It depends on how recently they graduated as last time I checked you had to have attended within the six months leading up to their closure.

Yeah I wasted about half my GI Bill going to that damn place.

Legally change your name to the one on the degree and be like I’m not obligated to pay for a bill whose name doesn’t match the diploma.

I don't see how it's useless. You still gained the knowledge from the classes you took. I've never had anyone ask to see my degree when paying for a job, either.

You need to hire one of those fancy lawyers who graduated from Trump University!

Lobby_Bee 17

If they don't exist anymore, who do you owe money to?

Tho whoever loaned them the money to pay their college fees.

I'm Obviously going to be the bad guy here for stating the Obvious... but what were you thinking going to be Fake college in the first place?? You would have been better off going to a real accredited institution, and probably cost far less over all. Even community/Junior colleges have classes online if there isn't one near you.

To answer your question, the school was accredited and has been around for almost 60 years. It was even ranked among the best two year colleges. The problem was that the school lied and forged a lot of data. That is the reason for the lawsuits as well as students being able to get possibly get back their student loans. Also why CEO and CFO were charged with fraud.

Again, I find it hard to sympathize since even a community college here in CA would cost a fraction of that for 2 years of attendance including fees and books... if student loans were really a concern to begin with... just saying.