By HOLYCOW - 23/01/2010 01:01 - Canada

Today, while grooming my horse, a spider crawled onto my ear. As if that was bad enough, I'm extremely arachnophobic, so I shrieked out of habit, which in turn caused my horse to freak out and kick me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 30 158
You deserved it 6 666

OverTheJump tells us more.

Ok, my horse is a freaking rescue horse. He panics at the drop of a pin, I rescued him just a month ago from near death because of all the abuse he's been through. I'm currenty rehabilitating him and helping him through this rough patch.

Top comments

As a professional equestrian, I feel I have the knowledge to suggest you take the time to train and desensitize your horse. If all it takes is for someone to scream to cause your horse to spook bad enough to kick or strike out, you've got a very green and/or traumatized horse. If you were flailing around in panic, this would be more rasonable, but just screaming shouldn't spook your horse to act out so dramatically. I would expect a jump off to the side, maybe even bolt if he or she is young, but to kick out at you proves that you need to work with your horse a little and develop it's confidence considerably. How do you expect your horse to tolerate the everyday occurances if he/she panics simply by any loud noise? If you ever plan to show, trail ride, ride off your property, or let anyone else (besides an accredited trainer) ride this individual, please desensitize and train your horse for the safety of your horse, yourself, and anyone else around.

Oof. Getting kicked by a horse is not a good thing. I would know. I got kicked by a really pissed off horse before, and trust me it wasn't a great experience.

Comments

Badboy6 5
cucumberfabulous 7

This made me laugh as well .... :D

grooming your "horse"? how'd it kick you :/

This happened to me once to but instead of a spider it was a fly and my horse freaked out and hit me on the head with his nose and if that wasn't enough he bit me to.

OP, The same thing happened to me.. Except I'm homophobic.. It was a bad day for me..

Enoch134 0

well any way did ur horse also hit the spider??? if so he saved ur life

myah1109 11

Horse turns it's body out of nervousness and kicks. Or she/he was brushing the horse's tail or brushing the rest of the dirt and crap off of the horse's butt.

All I can think of is that one FML last year where the OP had a cockroach crawl into his ear, and they had to remove it piece by piece from his ear after it died in there. :C http://www.fmylife.com/health/1566049

MF12 0

I think that was in a book I read from when I was like 12

Yeah they really have to do that, and it hurts as the cockroach is in there squirming around..

JustGines 0

Arachnophobia's a bitch. I hate it.

Oof. Getting kicked by a horse is not a good thing. I would know. I got kicked by a really pissed off horse before, and trust me it wasn't a great experience.

jasperprinz 0

hav u been bit by a pregnant mare, while u were brushing her belly and u didn't know she was pregnant? well I hav

i don't think anyone ha but whatever atleast the horse kick knocked out the spider.

As a professional equestrian, I feel I have the knowledge to suggest you take the time to train and desensitize your horse. If all it takes is for someone to scream to cause your horse to spook bad enough to kick or strike out, you've got a very green and/or traumatized horse. If you were flailing around in panic, this would be more rasonable, but just screaming shouldn't spook your horse to act out so dramatically. I would expect a jump off to the side, maybe even bolt if he or she is young, but to kick out at you proves that you need to work with your horse a little and develop it's confidence considerably. How do you expect your horse to tolerate the everyday occurances if he/she panics simply by any loud noise? If you ever plan to show, trail ride, ride off your property, or let anyone else (besides an accredited trainer) ride this individual, please desensitize and train your horse for the safety of your horse, yourself, and anyone else around.

Sun_Kissed18 25

Well, lets think... if a spider crawled in your ear would you: A) Stand still and scream B) Flail at your ear and scream while jumping around Now, I'm not sure about most people, but for me, it would be B, esspecially for a person with arachnophobia. But I agree with you that a scream should not make a horse kick but it is highly unlikely that she JUST screamed

I might yelp from being startled at the most, but I would just carefully flick the spider off. Seeing as OP has arachnophobia, I understand that she screamed. But you're missing my point entirely. It's not about how she reacted to the spider, it's about how the horse reacted to her. And the answer is dangerously.

Sun_Kissed18 25

I understand as I also have been around horses for many years. My point is that she definitely flailed and screamed. Any normal horse, being a flight animal, would flip out. Since she was grooming her horse, he was most likely on cross ties and unable to run away so a kick would seem logical to me. And no, I did not miss your point: "But I agree with you that a scream should not make a horse kick but it is highly unlikely that she JUST screamed"

brightbug 0

maybe she is training it. whether youre training it or not, you still have to groom it. it may just not be finished with it's training.

I don't know what part of the planet you are from, because not every horse is quiet and peaceful. OP probably allready knows that her horse needs work to prevent said horse from lashing out and injuring other people, other horses, Op, or itself. OP was probably about to go out after she groomed her horse and school the horse, or what she had done it before. I know from experience that not all horses are the same. For example; my horse lives at my best friends house with her four horses. None of my friends horses kick, bite, buck, rear or do anything that is really bad for a horse. My horse has been out of work for a while due to an injury, and was not taught very well by her previous owner. She does not let me catch her, she bucks, she rears, she bites and she kicks when Im doing something as little as her girth up. I ride her everyday, and she is getting better, but that doesn't mean that she doesn't nip or try and kick out every now and then still. Anyway, what im saying is not every horse is perfect. Which does not mean that they need to hurry up and train them out of their bad habits, just that some horses need time and patience, not a quick school from its rider that may not fully sink in.

myah1109 11

Horses can carry three times their own weight. Which would be about 4,500 lb. with the average horse. So shut up.

I totally feel for you OP. Gotta say you're my hero for just screaming. I once had a huge spider on my back and it made me jump around like a total idiot in front of my classmates, and ofcourse no one helped out xD

myah1109 11

It feels like it, but the kick it usually doesn't break any bones. Unless they get you in the face or possibly the ribs. I've gotten kicked 3 times in the shin. No broken bones :D

musicxfreakx38 0

#10 what the hell?! It's not OP's fault they have a serious fear of spiders. Get a life, I'm sure you're afraid of something too. And to OP, that just really sucks, I'm sorry, no one should have to deal with that.