By Buggy - 12/12/2017 18:30 - United States - Atmore

Today, my brother robbed someone. The victim spoke with me and said that if his $1500 was paid back, he wouldn’t press charges. After I gave him the money, I questioned my brother until he admitted doing it. He only took $200. FML
I agree, your life sucks 3 178
You deserved it 5 124

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Yeah, there was no robbery. You were played. Sounds like they were working together.

KingAdrock 16

Yeah... that's criminal extortion. In fact, simply saying "Do X, or I'll call the police" is generally considered extortion. So even if they asked the correct amount they'd still be committing a crime.

Comments

knightlyninja 8

Yeah, there was no robbery. You were played. Sounds like they were working together.

exileonmainst 16

Being nice and doing the right thing comes at a price. Specifically $1500.

Cleaning up his brother's messes isn't doing the right thing. It's enabling bad behaviour. The brother's not going to learn anything if OP keeps shielding him from the consequences. This is a YDI.

exileonmainst 16

Why do people keep taking my comments seriously?

Lobby_Bee 17

YDI, you should have talked to your brother and understand the situation before handing over a wad of cash to some dude who claims he got robbed.

KingAdrock 16

Yeah... that's criminal extortion. In fact, simply saying "Do X, or I'll call the police" is generally considered extortion. So even if they asked the correct amount they'd still be committing a crime.

Absolutely this. The correct response would have been "Let's call the police together". Sure, your brother gets arrested (that's his problem, not yours), but the important thing is that the "victim" also gets arrested for extortion. Both cases will likely get thrown out because it is nothing but "he said / he said".

So let me get this straight. If someone steals your money it is illegal to both (1) ask for it back or (2) call the police to report the robbery? OP was dumb enough to the guy without talking to his brother first. If the guy calls the cops, then the guy calls the cops.

I 100% agree with Bart. That doesn't sound like extortion at all. That just sounds like a guy wanting his money back. Ok, this particular guy was a douche and asked for too much, but let's just say he asked for the right amount. That's not extortion at all. It was his money... and he simply offered to deal with the situation without calling the police. Had he called it, he would've in NO WAY been in trouble... It was his money in the first place!!!! How stupid is it to think that that's extortion??!!?? -.-

Yeah, that's not extortion. Just theft for lying about the loss. According to King Adrock's logic, a guy who steals a lady's purse and runs off and if she says "give it back or ill call the cops", then she committed a crime lmfao.

Actually it is extortion. You can say: "Hey your brother stole from me I want my money back" but as soon as you make it an ultimatum that you get paid or you will call the police it is extortion. Let this be a lesson NEVER threaten to call the police just do it. You can learn more by googling "is threatening to call the police extortion". Extortion is: One person induces or attempts to induce another person to do anything or cause anything to be done. The person intended to obtain anything or cause anything to be done. " There are some people who may think that threatening to call the police on another person who will not repay a debt or return personal property can be a quick way to get their money or property back. Even in circumstances where the threat is innocent enough and the person never intends to follow through with it, threatening criminal proceedings still meets all the elements required for extortion. " Dont believe me still? Try it yourself, threaten to call the police in order to get something even if you are legally entitled to it, and see what happens.

There's a huge difference between criminal extortion and asking for your possession back. Common sense supports this.

Extortion is the crime of obtaining money or property by threat to a victim's property or loved ones, intimidation, or false claim of a right. Nothing here suggests that calling the police constitutes "a threat." Common sense wins the day.

You give someone money before even figuring out if it happened at all? Especially this much money... I could understand if it had been like $20 but here you just deserve it, sorry. At least take them to your brother first. Also, I think someone who ROBS someone should face the consequences, family or not.

Looks like your brother and the “victim” will both get in $750 worth of partying sponsored by your gullibility.

Then the victim is now guilty of fraud against you, and possibly blackmail as well. Even if your brother is prosecuted for the robbery most states consider it a petit larceny if it's below $1000 (in New York) in stolen goods.

Robbery has been always a felony. Chances are good that what happened here was theft, but not robbery.

darkness_fell 8

Next time, let your brother suffer the consequences. You've shown him it's ok to break the law because you'll bail him out no questions asked. It's your own stupid fault!

Your brother stole. He should have been criminally charged. You just helped cement this behavior in him so he will think it's fine to do it again. YDI for trying to protect an individual who is clearly not that clever to cover their tracks when stealing.