By IPad Loser - 08/09/2017 10:41

Today, my family thought it would be fun to replace my iPad with a better one while I slept. I had a project on there that I had been working on since the first day of school. They already wiped the old one. FML
I agree, your life sucks 5 582
You deserved it 571

Renna303 tells us more.

Renna303 12

Hey, op here. So all of you are saying that I should back up my iPads. I do back it up. It automatically backs up every 3 weeks. But when I posted this, school had been in session for 2 weeks. It backed up right before school started. I was able to get most of my other stuff back but just not the project.

Top comments

I am an IT guy and I am wondering if you backed up the old one anywhere. Your work could be synced via one of the many cloud services available.

Lobby_Bee 17

Good news, you got a new iPad! Bad news, you got a new iPad.

Comments

Surely, you back up your data regularly, in case your iPad gets broken or stolen? ...Oooooohhhh!!!

gobiteme2 34

I am an IT guy and I am wondering if you backed up the old one anywhere. Your work could be synced via one of the many cloud services available.

Lobby_Bee 17

Good news, you got a new iPad! Bad news, you got a new iPad.

chessu 21

There are all sorts of stupid people in the world, so I'm willing to believe this is legit, but I just understand how this is possible. Like fine, they wanted to get you a new one - but why basically steal the old one and what was the rush with wiping it and surely it's common sense that people store stuff on electronics? Out of curiosity though, what kind of a project is easier done on an iPad than a laptop?

InfiniteSecret 20

The OP is the stupid on. Why didn't they save it on something else. Like the cloud, the cloud is free!!! Or even email it to themself. Seriously they deserve this if they only had one copy of it. What would they do if it broke, got infested with a virus or viruses. This was terrible planning and organisation on their part. At least now they hopefully have learnt to have multiple copies of their work in case of situations like this. You would think people would back up their work in case of loss or damage to the original.

zeffra13 31

Many people use iPads to take notes instead of bulkier laptops that don't fit easily in backpacks. OP mentioned school & given the situation I'd guess they're in grade school. Sadly, most kids don't learn to keep back ups until after stuff like this happens, though it's entirely possible OP just isn't aware their work is saved on the cloud, the app's account if it's separate, or in a sync file.

chessu 21

I just find typing on an iPad so incredibly tedious, especially when it's school work and lots of notes, so I'd always rather take my laptop with, even if it is bulkier. Also project is not notes. And, yeah fair point, maybe they don't have one, but it's a safe assumption that at least half of the first world youth has one.

YDI. You should always back up on a flash drive, on a cloud and via email.

@xaru backing up to a usb stick is kinda tricky to do on an iPad.

or even kinda tricky. Note to self: proofread _before_ hitting send.

afallingstar 22

This is why you back up your data. If it was such an important project you would definitely want to have that information stored elsewhere in case your iPad gets stolen or broken.

InfiniteSecret 20

Why didn't you save it on something else. Like the cloud, the cloud is free!!! Or save it on someone like the cloud or even email it to your self. Seriously you deserve this if you only had one copy of it. What would you do if it broke, got infested with a virus or viruses, or this current situation. This was terrible planning and organisation on your part. At least now you hopefully have learnt to have multiple copies of your work in case of situations like this

It cool that you got a new iPad. But look on the bright side school has only been in session for 1-2 weeks so hopefully you don't have much to make up. I also don't think you parents meant to erase your project.