By parentalissues - 15/02/2013 15:50 - United States

Today, whilst on a phone interview with a college I really want to go to, my mother picks up the other line and shouts into the phone "She's not going to college, she's lazy and she'll only disappoint you." The interviewer hung up before I could say anything. FML
I agree, your life sucks 44 329
You deserved it 2 979

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That's tough. Time to move out. Or push mama down the stairs.

It's too bad we all have cordless phones now, you could've used the cord to strangle her.

Comments

Why would a mother sabotage her child like that? It's hard to say out of context, you either did something pretty bad to her, too or she is a total bitch...

mangoboy1 19

I think she doesn't want her to go away to college and just wants her to stay home and be taking care of her mom .or maybe she doesn't like to see her growing up.or maybe the mom never went to college and doesn't want her daughter to be more successful than she is like that mom in another FML who didn't want her daughter to be skinnier than herself.

if at first you don't succeed try, try again. this time use a friends house phone or try when your mom is not there.

perdix 29

You're phoning in the interview? Both you and the college are lazy, so you'd probably be a perfect match. It's a shame that both of you are too lazy to make the effort to call back.

It could a college that's not within reasonable driving distance for only an interview

Not necessarily perdix, the college might be in another state, therefore it is much easier to communicate over the phone. Just saying, I could be wrong though!!:-)

perdix 29

#40, my dad and I drove from Ohio to Texas to interview at the college I wanted to go to. Kids, today!!! You got it easy . . . now get off my lawn!

Your DAD drove with you to the college? Seems you are the one who got it easy. Somehow I doubt the OP's mother would lift even one finger to help her daughter.

CharresBarkrey 15

"I really like this college... But it's all the way over there... Nah, forget it." Reminds me of an episode of The Office when Kevin wanted to compliment Michael, but he was too far away.

perdix 29

#52. We split the driving and I was just 17. It was a hell of a long drive. My Dad was great and the OP's mother sucks. At least, we have agreement there.

#54: bet you got denied anyways huh? that's why your soul is so dark...

perdix 29

#55, no, I got in and had a great time! My life didn't turn into an ongoing series of FMLs until later.

Perhaps, the OP doesn't not have the money to make a long distance trip to the school for just for the interview? Gas is expensive. Plus it's possible that the OP doesn't have a vehicle yet that could make the distance. Possible issues for someone who may be doing something like, oh, saving up for college when they have a mother who is clearly not going to be helpful for such things.

mega20913 8

this made me laugh..but I'm so sorry OP..I know how you must feel...picking a college is a scary but also exciting time..and to have your chance at your dream college taken away is so unfortunate

In what way is this funny at all.. Op should drop kick the mum..

Hey OP, in case you weren't aware already, your mom is a dick

KiddNYC1O 20
mega20913 8

And why would the interviewer even pay attention to your mom? for all he/she knew, your mom could have been playing a cruel joke which should have had no bearing on you... I would call the school and explain the situation

Should have used a cell phone. Your mom couldn't pick up the other line on YOUR personal cell phone.

Psycho_Babydoll 26

If she'd used a cell phone, chances are the battery or credit would have run out and then everyone would be clicking YDI. Murphy's Law said so.

Why in the world would she do that? Can't you call them & apologize, tell them she's mentally unstable or something?

Are you trying to prove her wrong by using the term "whilst"?

"Whilst" is a bit archaic and a bit of a British affectation, which is odd in someone who lives in the U.S., but it's not incorrect. As for you, OP, your mom sounds truly rotten. Some mothers are not above sabotaging their children for whatever reason. If you can call the woman back, apologize and let her know that your mom is completely off base here.