By WorthLessThanACareer - 21/06/2016 12:57

Today, the guy I've been dating said we couldn't see each other anymore because he needed to focus on his career. He's unemployed. FML
I agree, your life sucks 13 507
You deserved it 1 200

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Well I would say finding a job is an important step in one's career.

Maybe he just got one, or is investing in one

Comments

nesteremily 31

It's a hard life sleeping and doing nothing all day

And you are being really rude, ignorant, and shallow for assuming that someone being unemployed makes them lazy. Way to ignore the fact that job hunting isn't easy to begin, and that there are issues that sum up to people not being able to get a job because tend are way more competitors for a job slot than there are job positions. All in all, you sounds like a brat.

34 is exactly right, just because someone is unemployed does not mean they're lazy, because of my age it took me a long time to find any kind of steady job, and my father underwent surgery a few years back which didn't work and left him legally handicapped and unable to work because it puts him in enormous amounts of pain, but despite that he doesn't sit around all day doing nothing, he does a lot of housework and whatever volunteer work he can. Just remember, "It's better to appear a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." little something from one of my favorite historical figures, Mark Twain.

It sounds like he really needs to focus on his career.

If he wants to focus on getting a career and bettering himself, he should. But in all honesty, if you really like someone, you will find the time to spend with them no matter what. Sorry but when you get passed 30 you've heard all the dating excuses in the book.. I've given them, received them, watched my friends, and the people they have been dating. Maybe he is trying to better his career, but he's just too chicken to say he doesn't want to see you anymore and that's a convincing excuse he can give. People should just try honesty, no one seems to.. At this point I'd rather let someone know it's just not there so they can move on, than give them an 'it's not you it's me excuse', and I'd want the same respect in return.

What if it's not an excuse, but the truth?

Like I said, just IMO I think if you really had feelings for someone you would find time for both, looking for a job would not be enough to keep you from wanting to see them. I've seen friends of both sexes get rid of people they are dating with some pretty lame excuses as to why they are at a point in their life that they can't date, but it all comes down to not being able to say there's no spark.

I've lost track of the amount of times in my 20's I used, 'I'm sorry I'm not in a place to date right now' instead of being honest and saying 'I'm sorry there's just nothing there'. I realise now it's less cruel to say the truth, so they can move on instead of thinking there's a chance down the line. I don't know one person who hasn't made up excuses...

While I understand that it's generally safer for women to turn men down with an excuse, the fact remains that just because you made them doesn't mean everyone jumps straight to lying.

If he's unemployed, he really does need to focus on his career.

bobsanction 18

Guess he really needs to focus.

maybe its cause you're ugly- patrick star

That's an excuse for being to much of a coward to tell you his true feelings for whatever reason. Sounds like a blessing in disguise.