By crazy_bananas - 22/08/2016 15:53 - United States

Today, not even 10 minutes into my job as a student teacher, I've had one student wipe boogers on me, another pee their pants, and a third won't stop crying for his mother. This is my first day. FML
I agree, your life sucks 14 169
You deserved it 1 839

crazy_bananas tells us more.

crazy_bananas 31

Hi OP here! I'm going to explain a few things since 300 characters isn't enough to get the whole story down. I really appreciate all the nice comments, and I loved how many of you wanted it to be high school or early college students! But first to all the people who say I deserve it and I should have expected this because I'm going into a teaching profession, **** off. I'm talking to you #30, 36, 39, 40, and 42 and anyone else who comments on this at a later time. Just because I'm going to be a teacher doesn't mean I deserve it. I also never said I didn't expect it, I knew what I was getting into when I decided I wanted to be a teacher and learn in a a younger age group setting. Okay! Now to other things! To answer the most comment question, no these aren't high school kids, these were 5 and 6 year olds. This was a kindergarten level class and it was the first day of the year, so I knew that there were going to be tears and some icky things were going to happen. I fortunately brought an extra pair of pants with me I changed into them so I wouldn't have boogers on me all day. The kid who peed their pants was sent to the nurses office so their mommy could come bring them new pants and underwear. And the kid who was crying for his mommy cried so hard that he threw up a little bit so he got to be nurse buddies with the kid who peed their pants. His mom brought him back to class and luckily he had calmed down enough and didn't cry when she left again. He was just going through a little separation anxiety but once he saw that the day was going to end at 12, and he would get to play games and be told stories he was super chill and ended up loving being in class. The worst thing about this whole situation was that the teacher was outside with all the parents when it all went down, so I had to deal with the debacle by myself. Admittedly though, this was a great learning experience that I'll be sure to learn from when I have to run a classroom by myself. However, I will not be teaching little kids at this young an age, I'm aiming for 7 and 8 year olds or high school student. Hopefully, with high school kids I won't run into a similar situation!

Top comments

You can do this. All kids have their sets of problems and once you get emotionally connected with these kids, they'll love you whenever you walk into class screaming your name with excitement and joy. Stay content at this moment because the future is what holds the truth

Comments

Fireant_man 6

They joys of being a student teacher to high school kids

Senior English is always a tough start for new teachers.

readingrachel 9

The weird thing is that it's a college class

Yeah, that's a pretty standard day teaching kids under 7... One of mine shat themselves mightily yesterday. As has been said by others it becomes beyond worth the difficult moments if this job is something you are passionate about! Keep at it OP!

maybe it's just me, or maybe today there are more kiddos who are in daycare and not getting as much parental raising as I did which slows their emotional development, but I'm blown away by the number of stories I hear about kids ******** themselves on purpose when angry, at age 7. I don't remember that happening a single time in my first grade class (or even kindergarten, or pre school for that matter. . .or maybe I was just oblivious)

i really wanna know how old your students are... but don't worry, the first day is always the hardest, you got this!

You'll get used to it. These things happens and really if wet pants and a bit of snot is the worst thing about your day, it's been a pretty good day.

TheyCallMeDamien 17

That's it. You'll be okay. Trust me that is completely normal.

Baron_Kaz 15

Teaching college these days can be tough!