By Anonymous - 23/09/2009 15:36 - United States

Today, my plates on my car were stolen. On the way to the police station to file a police report I was pulled over. They impounded my car for driving without a license plate. FML
I agree, your life sucks 40 955
You deserved it 8 309

ns0 tells us more.

Here's the whole story; I got up one morning for work, went to my car, plates were stolen (just the back). I called the police in SLC, UT (801)-799-3000 (non-emergency). The dispatcher took my information and told me she'd mark the plates as stolen but i'd need to file a report to get a replacement plates from the DMV (the DMV doesn't allow you to get duplicates unless you file a police report for lost/stolen plates so you cant have multiple cars and multiple tags). The dispatcher told me a police officer could meet me there in an hour however i was already late for work and the police department is about 9 blocks away from my place so i (YDI, i know) decided I would drive down there really quickly and file a report. WITH a police report cops won't impound your car. Without the police report, they do -- and i've come to learn don't give a crap about your story. I was literally 3 blocks away from the police station when it happened. When I went in and filed a police report (after having to walk the remaining 3 blocks) the police officer told me that I can fight the impound by fighting the charge, and since I now have a valid police report they will refund the impound fee. BTW i got pulled over on my way to the DMV with the police report after I got my car out of the impound and the police officer happily let me go. Lesson learned, just wait for the cop, but I was in a hurry and late for work.

Top comments

You should have expected that. You're not allowed to drive without license plates. "It's more convenient to drive there than to seek other methods of transportation" is not an excuse.

BTW the police said people steal plates to commit other crimes in their own car without it being traced back to them. (i.e. rob a bank and the plates someone may write down are meaningless and it means they don't have to steal a car to rob a bank, they can just use their own.)

Comments

I'm not someone who likes to side with cops. Most of them are just pigs that like to stress their authority and make peoples lives hard, but I am starting to see the reason why people are voting YDI. One must ask what he expected them to do taking the whole car to the police station. Finger print it for evidence? Still doesn't give him his car back.

The police probably stole his plates in the first place because they were jonesing for the OP's car, and gave themselves an excuse to confiscate it.

http://all-the-exgirlfriends.info/?uid=16604

readytofall69: I'm pretty sure if the OP was in such a remote location that there was no pay phone, gas station, cell reception etc. the chance of his plates being stolen in the first place is pretty slim.

Why were the plates stolen in the first place? Why not just steal the car?? The more I think about it, the less likely it becomes.

Why would someone just steal the plates. They would come up registered to your vehicle. And, if this is in fact a REAL FML, why wouldn't you just call non-emergency police to file a report?? Then, you'd be able to go to the DMV, get your temporary plates, and you never would have been ticketed. Problem solved.

Xader 0

Criminals steal plates to put on a vehicle they intend to use in committing a crime. After the crime, they switch back to legal plates in case the plate number was reported.

Dial 311 for non-emergency reports and services. Now you know, and knowing is half the battle.

For all of you claiming fake, you must either be 12 or just don't drive. People steal plates alll the time. Hell, I have had my validation sticker stolen off of my plates. Second, who the **** is gonna call 911 for a petty theft? They would tell you to call a non emergency lone and hang up on you. They have actual emergencies to deal with. However, OP you are still an idiot, there would have been some other way to deal with that situation and as for your car getting impounded, you prob had outstanding tickets or something. YDI

Why? Unless they're personalised and sold off. Either way why bother? I don't know where you are but nothing like that happens where I am.

Why do people steal plates? Well because cops don't go around running every plate they see, so in theory someone could use the incorrect plates for a long time if they didn't do anythng stupid. Same goes for the validation sticker. People are cheap and don't want to have to pay to renew them, so they steal someone elses. At least that's how it can happen up here in Canada.

I don't understand how people can get registration stickers off license plates without destroying them. Here they're designed to be ruined if someone tries to peel it off a plate, so nobody can get anything out of them if they try to steal one.

You saying you put registration stickers on your PLATES over there??? We put them on our windscreens.

actually when cops get board they go pull plates that are expired that way they get to pull over the person whose plates they pulled. the same cop that arrested you is probably the one who "stole" your plates

There is a such thing as CALLING the police. YDI.