By Anonymous - 10/01/2016 10:35 - United States - Pittsburg

Today, my mom said if I dont get straight A's in my classes this year, she'll get the school to hold me back until I do. I believe her. FML
I agree, your life sucks 21 509
You deserved it 2 507

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I don't think the school would allow that. If it's a real problem then talk to the principal about it or the headmaster

Just try your hardest OP, there is no way the school would let that happen so just do well (A's and B's) and I'm sure you'll be just fine!

Comments

My parents did that to me my 7th grade year, it sucks because I was supposed to graduate this May so I had to drop out of school and get a GED so I can start College on time!

Did they do it because you didn't make straight A's or because you were failing classes? Also you turn 18 in February, many schools in the US would still have you as a junior anyways because of the time of year you were born.

You can legally stay enrolled in a public high school until you're 22 (though I do believe there is an application/request you need to file).

Doesn't matter. Straight A's are too high a standard.

I seriously doubt the school would allow that. No offence to your mother but I'm sure most schools hate having to deal with parents who behave this way.

The state wouldn't let the school hold you back if you have passing grades

Where are you from? It's super easy to get straight A's in Britain and easy enough in America depending on the class. Your doomed if you're from Ireland. Yi can loose points for missing a class (even if you get every question right) and for messy handwriting. Not to mention you need 85% to get a low A

In America, 70% is the first passing grade and an A is 90-94%, depending on the school. I don't know anything about Ireland but unless OP is taking all crip classes and/or doesn't have any other responsibilities then making straight As isn't easy. It's doable, but not easy.

The school wouldn't do that even if she pitched a fit over it. There's already a problem with failing students being passed on to higher grades so that the school appears competent, statistically speaking; not letting a passing student graduate to the next grade would do nothing for the school but hurt it.

corky1992 33

Don't think she can do that because of the "no child left behind" act or if you have passing grades. I wouldn't worry too much.

That was repealed so I don't know how true that is anymore.

Not repealed, replaced with the "Every Student Succeeds Act".

converse18 15

Were you at least in elementary school?

The education system can't do that. As long as you pass your classes you graduate. And you don't need straight 'A' to do that. Your mum is just trying to scare you