By countrygirl0118 - 17/12/2009 22:30 - United States

Today, my boyfriend's mother called me. She assumed that I bought him a PS3 for Christmas, and she and the rest of his family have only purchased him games to go with it. The thing is, I already got him an expensive gift. Now, I have to scramble to come up with the money to get this for him instead, and save the coat I bought for his birthday. FML
I agree, your life sucks 36 001
You deserved it 5 105

countrygirl0118 tells us more.

HI AGAIN I'M THE OP! first off the coat is nonrefundable, and I got him it because we do live in a harsh area and he has to walk to work wearing a million sweatshirts at the moment. second, no he doesn't live with his folks, we live together so in a way it would be for me too but i thought the coat had a more pressing need. third, i had discussed with his sister and his brother in-law that no, i was not getting him a PS3 until his birthday because blistering cold takes precedence over playing games. AND i had said if you really want to get him a game that's fine, but he won't be able to use it til February. THEN his mother called me, and told me about them all buying him games. I said to her on the phone, "I've already bought him a nice coat and was waiting til his birthday for the game system." She then said, "Oh, well I knew that, but we knew you'd probably want to get him the system too since we've all bought him games." One game is okay, but everyone buying him a game makes it look ridiculous and then he'll have all these games and not be able to use them for 2 months. ALSO i don't want to fight with his mother. This is the first Christmas I'm spending with them and on top of it his dad has bone marrow cancer and lymphoma and has chosen to stop his chemotherapy treatments, so this may be the last Christmas they all have as a family. So I'm not going to cause a fight. FINALLY, all you who commented calling me spineless, maybe you should learn to reserve comments like that considering that sometimes you cannot fit all of the story into the text space provided. But I guess your bad behavior must be a product of your upbringing. Very poor manners. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.

Top comments

JERKKMONKEY 0

dude who does she think she is 'assuming' you got him a ps3. FYL

greatnt249 0

Seems like the simpler solution would have been to, you know, set her straight on the fact that you hadn't bought him a PS3. Either that, or your boyfriend's mom is scheming you to save them from having to buy the PS3 themselves.

Comments

ummmm don't let their family use you? Just a thought.

@65 it's for Christmas-not his birthday. @OP You don't have to scramble to get him ANYTHING! His mom should NOT have assumed you were getting him a PS3, and now she'll suffer the consequenses(sp?). She needs to learn not to assume things.

deaditegirl 0

Um, no, you don't *have* to. You chose to. His family made the assumption, let them deal with the consequences.

The money they buy for the PS3 games, they should've gotten the system (throw in some money for it and all), and let him decide what games he wants to buy.

Why the hell don't you just open your mouth and tell them you didn't get him a PS3? Why is this a FML?

as someone who understands how difficult it is to maintain a happy relationship with the "in-laws," I can see why you didn't say anything. Christmas is no time to teach his family a lesson on communication skills. If you're really strapped for cash right now, just return the coat and buy the ps3. You can save up and buy the coat for his birthday or just surprise him with the coat on a random day.

I also deal with in-laws, if you don't stand up for yourself, they'll walk all over you. What are they going to assume next time- that you buy him a car or get pregnant because they assumed they'd have grandchildren in the next year? YDI for being spineless

it's a $200 gaming console. Not a $30,000 car or a priceless human life. relax. If you know so much about in-laws, you would also know how to choose your battles wisely. This is an unwise battle.

**** them. give him the coat and tell his mom to go buy it herself, you already got him something.

Give him the coat. Tell the mom "sorry, this is what I got him." Seriously, don't stand for that shit.

Soo...what your saying is that ALL of THEM buy PS3 games...then say you had the PS3...This is what you do,when the mom tells you that they thought you were getting the PS3,you smile at her. Then,on christmas,give him the coat. When she's like WTF?! U say 'I never told you I was buying a PS3'. :)

alicia18 0

this sounds like at some point the OP may have been talking to the mother about POTENTIAL gifts and mentioed a ps3. perhaps the OP asked if her boyfriend would like a ps3 and the mother then assumed she WAS buying it, rather than simply taking it into consideration. The mother still should have called to confirm that was his gift tho.