By Agata - 21/12/2009 16:15 - United States

Today, my boyfriend of 3 years announced that he is not ready for marriage, and won’t be for 'at least' another 2 years. Of course he waited to tell me this 2 days after he had proposed to me in front of hundreds of people, I said yes, and we announced it to all our family members and friends. FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 217
You deserved it 2 865

Same thing different taste

Top comments

InstaKarma 0

Maybe he is just feeling overwhelmed by the new stage your relationship has progressed to. Either way, if you two actually love each other, talk about it and maybe just have a long engagement. FYL because that is a hell of a let down.

caticaticati 3

I've known people who were engaged for a year or two before the wedding... it takes time to plan that shit and find the money for it. I wouldn't be surprised if my boyfriend proposes while we're in college and then we wait to actually get married until we've both graduated.

Comments

what a ********. He shouldn't ask unless he's ready.. did you MAKE him propose???? sounds like it.. like he finally just gave in and gave you a ring to shut you up..... if not, then you need to break up w/ his inconsiderate ass. you can find someone else and get a timely proposal in another 2yrs. i would go for that option.

thinmint 0

whatever. who cares if you have a long engagement? enjoy the new phase of your relationship instead of rushing into another one. what's the hurry anyway? are you scared if you don't tie him down he will leave? sounds pretty insecure of you, FHL.

Well, at least he want to marry _you. Maybe he proposed before telling you because he wants to assure you that he want's to marry you, not some other girl, just that he wants to wait. It is sort of **** your life, but it could be worse. He could just be with you and wait for something better, but he isn't!

Yep, since he proposed in front of hundreds of people he must have meant it. Planning a wedding really takes a lot of time and enery and money. Besides, a long engagment means lots of parties for you two.

i say FYL because he said at least. and also it kind of sounds like he means he wants to break off the engagement until he's ready. at least that's how i interpreted it. so he would propose again when he's ready. if so, FYL. if he just wants to set the date for the wedding in two years, then you have plenty of time to plan the wedding and it will be better. but i'm still going to say FYL.

skyeyez9 24

meaning: he wants to keep you for the sex, cooking his meals until he finds someone else.

NotEven 0

Unless you had already set a sooner date and told people... what's the big deal? Even if you had, just say you are pushing it back. Two years is really not that long to be engaged. People usually need about a year just to plan a wedding depending on how big you want it. Like others said, at least he still does want to marry you. He just wants to wait 2 years. He proposed to you (assuming he did it of his own free will) and you are together. What else matters?

He's probably not ready to become impotent for 'at least' another 50 years, either, but I'm sure you can force him for one of the two.

Boo friggin hoo, unless with the engagement you decided it was going to be sooner than 2+ years, you have nothing to complain about having a longer engagement.

theblazian 0

Right! Cause everyone knows if you don't get married within 5 seconds of proposal it becomes unmarriable and should just be thrown away. Wait.... I think I'm confusing a few rules......

exactly, the five second rule, well I always used ten =

voveraite 7

I don't see what's so abnormal with 2 years engagement period. Ideally, that's what I would prefer as well...