By Leyla - 27/10/2015 01:23 - United States - Franklin

Today, my boyfriend and I respectfully asked my landlady if he could stay with me until he gets back on his feet. He was robbed at gunpoint in his house last night. Landlady then yelled because we aren't married, and then showed up at my door at 10pm, "just making sure John isn't here". FML
I agree, your life sucks 24 400
You deserved it 1 891

Same thing different taste

Top comments

lexiieeex3 32

I would've just had him just stay with you and not tell the landlady, she sounds batshit.

You have rights as a tenant. She cannot show up and demand entrance, that's an invasion of your privacy. Read your lease or renters contract and see what privileges you have or don't. My advice, keep him very quiet and hidden and she'll never know.

Comments

uh. that's ACTUALLY against the law. you could and probably SHOULD report her for discrimination and breaking Fair Housing Laws..

Geckosrock99 33

She's basically forcing her views on OP. She's also **** blocking OP. Sounds like she's being discriminated against for not being a virgin. Or she could just be a total bitch. It's not that hard to add someone to the lease if need be.

That depends on where you are actually. Over here in the Netherlands, if it's private sector, she can choose whoever (and why) she wants to lease to, because it is her property. So, she can actually refuse unmarried couples, if it doesn't fit her beliefs. Not sure about US though...

It's discrimination based on familial status here in the U.S..

...and that's her business because? Just hide him and make the best out of it.

I'm not familiar with tenancy laws is the US but I would image that unless you where renting a room in her house or there was a doorman, thus requiring registration to get into the building, if you have guests in you home, because if you are paying rent that is you home, she can't say anything nor can she comment on your sex life. The only thing she can refuse him entry to your home is if there are multiple complaints from tenants about noise and the like.

Jwaye2 7

I wouldnt have even told her. I dont know about the US but in Australia once you sign the lease its none of the landlords business who stays over at your house for a night or a couple weeks aslong as they arent officially moving in. Landlord also isnt allowed to just rock up to the house unannounced. Have to give an absolute minimum of 24 hours notice (sometimes more depending on your lease) unless you give permission to come earlier.

Why exactly do you need to ask permission to have your boyfriend living with you in your own rented apartment?

Like a lot of others who don't seem to know this, It's actually a fairly common practice in some areas to have clauses in the lease contracts about having visitors staying over. Some leases require you to get prior permission from the landlord/-lady. This is especially true for leases where your rent includes gas and water for a fixed price. The homeowner doesn't want to get screwed over when you suddenly use twice as much water etc because there are now two people living there instead of one. If this is the case, doing it on the downlow can be risky, since it gives the landlord/-lady cause to kick you out for breaking the lease conditions.

Well that's just a very strange situation overall.

i am pretty sure that is illegal. unless it is some kind of family member that you don't want to upset I wouldn't give her the time of day.

Weirddate 11

You never had to ask for permission in the first place, unless your less specifically states, ״no guests allowed."