By Anonymous - 16/01/2014 01:57 - United States - Philadelphia

Today, it was my first day at my new school. I've never been the new girl before, so I asked my best friend for advice. She said, "Whatever you do, do not, under any circumstances, be yourself." FML
I agree, your life sucks 48 180
You deserved it 5 491

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Indianboy9321 25

In my experience, my best friend(s) are usually the ones that can joke slightly harshly with me without anyone taking offense, so I wouldn't take it to heart. Just be a nice, genuine person and you will have friends in no time!

A little advice from someone who went to a few different high schools. Always be who you are, everyone knows when you're putting on an act.

Comments

Indianboy9321 25

In my experience, my best friend(s) are usually the ones that can joke slightly harshly with me without anyone taking offense, so I wouldn't take it to heart. Just be a nice, genuine person and you will have friends in no time!

michaelaranda 28

im not so sure. as for op, I have a new girl at my school, so if you now live in fremont, ca; message me if you want

Yeah, my best friend and I joke around all the time. Don't worry OP, I'm sure you'll make at least one friend

I say act a little and be confident to get noticed and then filter out the people who won't get along with your true self. Changing school is a perfect chance to start again and be know just as you want to be.

Why would you want to act as something you're not just to make friends? It reminds me of the girls who cake on tons of makeup to attract a guy. Sooner or later that friend or guy would realize the person is not who they made themselves out to be. As said before, be yourself OP. There's nothing better than a friend who accepts you. Considering you already have a good friend, I'd think what they said was in jest. This deployment is killing me btw...I'm on 14 hours days...ugh

SuperMew 22

I think people need to act like the best version of themselves. I went to a knew school and reinvented myself. I was the same person, but I didn't act like the shy person I was before. I actually talked to people, shared their interests, talked about my own life, and didn't have the same negative attitude I did before. I acted confident and people were a lot more open to me. But I didn't change who I was on the inside. I know a lot of people lie and make up better lives. There is nothing wrong with acting nice, acting more confident, and not being the shy person you were before. Those sort of things actually lead to you becoming more confident. But if Op changed everything about herself... that would be bad.

Best friend or not, that's actually kind of rude. Sorry, OP. I hope you make friends quickly. (:

iLike2Teabag 27

I think one of the factors that determine the strength of friendship is how hard you can rag on each other. In this case, I think they're pretty good friends.

Yeah that's true but it can get really annoying when he or she doesn't know when to stop. In this case I think OP should take it as a joke and be herself.

A little advice from someone who went to a few different high schools. Always be who you are, everyone knows when you're putting on an act.

DasHaas 9

Even more importantly: YOU will know it's all an act and that all the 'friends' you are making like someone who doesn't exist. That always ends poorly.

Haha wow, what a supportive friend... Well it is never easy being the new kid I find. Though I'm sure you'll meet cool people. Hang in there and be yourself.

If she is your bestfriend it could be good advice. I mean, I am really weird, I wouldn't be myself first of all, nothing wrong with toning down your personality.

lailaxjan 11

I disagree completely. You should always be yourself.

Toning down isn't necessarily not being yourself. I can be pretty kooky around people who know me, people I feel comfortable with, but I'm a lot more toned down and reserved around people I don't know well. I think most of us have aspects of our personality that we don't necessarily show right away until we're comfortable with someone.

SuperMew 22

I think you have to learn to tone down your personality and have different fronts to be a healthy person. No one is the same with each social group. I don't make sex jokes around my parents, they just would not accept or enjoy that sort of talk. I am very focused on school and many of my classmates seem to think I am rather soft spoken, focused, and smart. When I am with people I am really good friends with, I am loud, proud, and very perverted. I make jokes, talk about comics, curse, and become rather childish. But that is how our friendship works and I love it. I also have friends I talk about certain things with. Anyways, sorry for the novel. What I am trying to say is, maybe Op has trouble knowing when to do one thing and when to do another. If Op has qualities other people might not understand, but the best friend likes, then Op should try to be a bit different. It is all about learning limits and what is appropriate.

happyfingers 15

I assume she was joking at your expense. As best friends often do. But if not then ouch. >.> Really though, don't think anything of it. I'm sure you'll be fine.

Trooth 13

Can't blame her for giving you advice that could help you survive there! I know it's hard to hear, but that's what friends are for: they tell you what no one else would.

At least you don't have to worry about having to get a new best friend?

Honesty hurts, she's only looking out for your well being.