By Anonymous - 08/08/2012 17:15 - United States - Chagrin Falls

Today, it's my girlfriend's birthday. To celebrate, I spent the day with her and then took her out to a really nice dinner. She is currently giving me the silent treatment because I didn't write "happy birthday" on her Facebook wall. FML
I agree, your life sucks 40 335
You deserved it 4 249

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Hiimhaileypotter 52

She needs to sort out her priorities...

Comments

What does this generation come too? We have our world's future in their hands.

JackeeDawn 9

If you don't Facebook it; did it actually happen?

Nice stereotyping, asshole. Some of us, yes are doomed for later in life. However, most of us still have common sense and chivalry like op. Op's gf just happens to be overly attached to facebook.

#19: I guess not. I don't have Facebook and never have. Does that mean my entire life is meaningless and that I'm just a bunch of random events that happen to a figment of your imagination?

Wow it is brutal, i think u need to figure out fast if u are ready to put on with her for rest of your life Op!!Coz your really nice dinner(i believe) just went down the hole only coz of a virtually encoded wall, so called face-book wall... Wow interesting and #19 please get a real life... Thank u :)

Social expectations change with the times, and with technology, too. There is nothing wrong with her wanting a post on facebook, if that happens to be what's important to her. (Maybe for her the affirmation of their relationship in that venue counts more than spending money.) There is however lots wrong with giving an SO the silent treatment. That's immature and petty.

That's horrible! You should dump her. Her life revolves around a social networking site. Major red flag. Find someone who appreciates the nice things you do for her!!!

It's HER birthday, no? So, shouldn't you do what's important to her, what she wants, no matter how stupid you think it is? I bought my boyfriend a $250 game-used hockey stick for his birthday. To me, it was just a bloody expensive piece of wood, but it meant something to him, so I did it.

mongoose313 2

Agreed! Don't own a stupid facebook account and never will. If my friends need to know what I am up to, they know where to find me.

What a whiny little bitch! Girls these days are so hung up on how they look to everyone else (Facebook) than what is going on in reality and around them!

#82: There is a difference between a meaningful gift such as your boyfriend's hockey stick and a few words placed on a virtual wall.

But who gets to decide what is meaningful and what is not? Obviously, to OP's girlfriend, the Facebook post (or lack thereof) is what is meaningful.

kristabelli 19

Communication is the problem here, in my opinion. OP didn't realize that the comment on the FB wall was so important to her b/c she didn't tell him. She probably dreamed of everyone seeing it & thinking how sweet he is & how much he loves her... but she never verbalized it. He probably didn't ask her, either, just did what he thought would best show her he loves her. Now she's being a baby about it & guy is baffled. Communication, people!

#102: Then if she were my girlfriend I'd ask for her to recompense all the money I spent on her: birthday dinner and extraneous gifts. Then I would login in to Facebook, and write "HAPPY BIRTHDAY." After all, according to you, all OP's girlfriend wanted was a Facebook post, since that's what's most meaningful to her. Do you see what I'm saying?

Or, for argument's sake, perhaps it is ALL important. The dinner, the time, and the Facebook post...? Why does it have to be either/or. It could be part of an all-inclusive package? I know that I'll do a dinner and a present and a Facebook post for my boyfriend's birthday (and for any of my friends and family, for that matter). I can see why the girlfriend might be upset, because she could have friends asking her why he didn't care enough to post.

bronsrawr: Have you considered that, as the boyfriend was so busy trying to please his girlfriend, he didn't even consider (or overlooked) posting something as trivial as a Facebook shout out? If her friends asked her, she could've replied "My boyfriend is busy spoiling me for my birthday. He probably forgot. No big deal." At least, that would be the mature thing to do. If the lack of a Facebook post is what upset her, then she needs to get her priorities straight.

#116: Or, for argument's sake, it's NOT all important. I hate it when people think they are entitled to everything they want. I don't scream because I don't have a birthday. I haven't had one since I was eighteen. Why? Because I don't want to put my family through all the rush and bustle of throwing me a party and buying gifts they can't afford. I say, let the girlfriend take what is given her, and be grateful.

jillybee101 7

26 & 34- There's a word we use for comments like 19's..... Hmm what is it again? Oh yeah SARCASM.

She want's you to post on her Facebook page so she could show off to her friends that she has a boyfriend that's considerate. It also sounds like she had a whole reply ready for you, which was probably why she was angry at you. Either that or she cares too much about what others think.

I have a Facebook and barely go on so I never post on peoples walls.

Who uses Facebook twitter is where it's at

116: what do you think couples did for birthdays before facebook? oh yeah...EXACTLY WHAT OP DID. I don't know about you, but I don't ever remember a couple walking into a room full of friends, having one significant other shout 'HAPPY BIRTHDAY <insert gooey-mushy message here>", and the other replying with something just as mushy. No. Why does it matter if her friends know if he said happy birthday? Why would he have to post it on an INTERNET site for her to be happy about her birthday? And why on earth would she give him the silent treatment over THAT when he was trying to make her birthday special? Hell, do you know how many people only say "Happy Birthday" on facebook because it shows up on their feed? I mean, sure, I could understand if it's important to her for her friends to see how much he cares about her, but he can do that without going through a social networking site. Personally, i think OP's girlfriend is just being petty and ungrateful. He did something personal and intimate for her, and she whines because he didn't post something for all the world to see. Real mature there. Especially if she never even communicated to him that it was that important.

cantthinkofshit 5

No Facebook, where you encouraged to share happy memories and pictures. Instead a fmylife account, a archive of moments in people's life they generally regret and/or wish never happened. Haha thats pretty revealing there pal.

And Facebook destroys another relationship.

Supernovas_Child 13

#82 Odds are, he said it to her in person, which should mean a hell of a lot more than a few words flashing on a screen.

Hiimhaileypotter 52

She needs to sort out her priorities...

toenibbler 14

Hooray for Harry Potter references! Today has been full of them.

I like your pic. What kind of horse is that?

This is why I don't have a Facebook. People can't differentiate between Facebook and reality.

Hiimhaileypotter 52

#7- That's strange, I haven't seen any xD #30- Thank you! She's a Quarter horse mix.

Hiimhaileypotter 52

#7- I meant besides mine. I didn't think anyone would get it :D

Hey, it's never official until it is Facebook official! :P

Honestly, its almost expected that you do. With all the random friends you may or may not talk to who wish you a happy birthday on your wall, it'd be odd not to get one from the person closest in your life...I can't relate much though. On my birthday I didn't let my boyfriend take me out to dinner. But for every little event in our relationship or in my life, he makes sure to make a Facebook comment about it...

Because nothing is official until it's posted on Facebook!

Hiimhaileypotter 52

#238: It'd be "odd" to not get a Facebook post from your significant other after you'd spent the entire day together? Anyone with Facebook shoved that far up their ass needs a serious reality check.

It really just depends on the relationship. My boyfriend and I are both gamers and spend fair amounts of time on the computer...No need to get snide.

Hiimhaileypotter 52

263- I'm a gamer too. I didn't mean to be snide. I just was saying that in no relationship should a Facebook post be more important than quality time with the other person, that's all. I wasn't trying to be rude. It just doesn't matter what someone thinks about your SO not posting on your Facebook wall.

PeeNaught 3

I just want to say hell yeah for harry potter, that's the first thing I thought of when I read your comment and I laughed out loud thank you for the best laugh I've had in a while, also op dude your girls seriously needs to figure out what comes first in her life...

275- I agree, time together is more important. It also could be taken badly though if you didn't write something. If I were to forget to write a post about my anniversary with my boyfriend, he might think I'm mad at him. Depending on whether or not OPs boyfriend is consistent with relationship and birthday posts with her will determine whether or not his girlfriend is a nutjob.

Or she could be expelled from that relationship x) I had to...

CallMeMcFeelii 13

I'd say a lot more than a bit. People worry about Facebook way to much. That's why I never jumped on the bandwagon.

I'd say your girlfriend needs a bit of dick

Aug1508 9

I think your girlfriend needs to come back to the real world before you leave her ass for someone who appreciates you.

dougiewhale 6
Zoh_Aubrey 8

Write "happy birthday" on her face...with some sort of bodily fluid.

53 I like your idea but instead of bodily fluid with words from a book

45- yeah, straight up the ass. What a bitch.

Dump her... Through facebook. Well...no... Hope it will get better OP. Sorry to hear you have such a FB addicted snob :/

50 - Well you're retarded does that mean you eat retards?

Write on her wall "im breaking up with you" because she doesn't know how great you are!

Well some idiot has to say it, has yet to fail on a relationship involved fml

jillybee101 7

I I was her boyfriend (if I was a male to begin with) I'd probably be in jail for strangling that whiny bitch.

10k people just creeped my profile from saying that

No, OP just needs to change his relationship status to Single

free2speak 14

20, that is not harsh! Obviously OP and his GF are not the same maturity level, otherwise, he'd be having this conversation with her and not with the FML community and therefore, it is best that OP break up with her and find someone on his own maturity level.I have to admit that it is incredibly childish of her given that OP gave her a thoughtful and meaningful gift (dinner) instead of a dim-witted, half-apologetic, sorry I forgot your birthday and had to be reminded by FB kind of "Happy Birthday" post. but that's just my opinion though...

I'm glad I wasn't the only person that thought this. Actions speak louder than words and words speak more than 2 words on facebook. I would rather have a great day with friends and family than have them all send me messages on fb.

People like that need to be smacked upside their heads.

Kallian_fml 21

I imagine you're going to be very busy slapping heads for a very long time... Too many morons out there.

Ok 62, we should get started then! *puts on gloves*

I'd love to, 62! Yes, I play bass 232, and enjoy the hell out of it.

xXHollowIchigoXx 17

Wow... I wouldn't spend a cent on my girlfriend if she did something like that.

And why would she? I'm thinking because she wants other people to know how great her boyfriend is, and if she's so hung up on what other people think she's definitely not in it because she wants to be in the relationship.

This is why I don't have a Facebook. It causes trouble.

This is like the second time you've said that.

missamazinggg 12

Hey everyone, Nbackus9 doesn't have a Facebook.

56, that's enough. You've already posted that.

Did you know that your comment was the same thing that Elton John said about Madonna for doing a crazy ass concert because Lady Gaga intimidates her? Stupid, isn't it?

It sounds like she's all about the public perception of things. She wants a shallow comment on FB for the world to see rather than a nice time spent with the two of you. I hope you find better.