By Anasztaizia - 26/03/2015 06:58 - United States - Burnsville

Today, I was told by my boyfriend's parents to never come back to his house again, and was given a lecture about rule breaking. Apparently, curfew is midnight, and he isn't allowed to have girls over. This didn't sound so unreasonable until I remembered that we're both almost 30. FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 955
You deserved it 3 996

Anasztaizia tells us more.

Anasztaizia 3

OP here! #51, you are both correct and incorrect. It IS actually his place, but he bought it off his parents. TL;DR: when they decided it was time to downsize, he bought their house off them, but they haven't moved out yet. The mentality of it still being their house, their rules (which I agree is sensible) hasn't quite left their heads yet.

Top comments

If your boyfriend still lives at home when he's 30, it's time to find a new boyfriend.

Comments

amiewithaj 13

YDI for dating an almost 30 year old still at home. Time to put on his big boy panties

I don't get why some of these comments are so harsh. This is one of those situations where we know nothing about the entire situation of why this guy is living with his parents. It could be a number of reasons. His parents do sound very controlling though. OP, I would have a talk about this with your boyfriend and see where that conversation leads to. It both of your feelings that need to be discussed and see where to go from there. Good luck.

the only excuse for a 30yr old man living with his parents is for an extremely brief period of time if something bad happens. If he's there for a few weeks then he should respect their wishes for that time and get out asap. other than that, YDI.

I hope he still doesn't have his twin bed with Star Wars sheets also

My first reaction was that maybe this was from a country where moving out before 30 was financially impossible, then saw Minnesota. Yeah, he needs to grow the **** up.

Their house, their rules. His parents are over 50, based on his age, and they don't want to be awakened by someone stumbling around giggling after midnight.

My fiancee had a curfew of 10pm, and we were in our early 30s. Need I mention that there were dependency issues that (among other things) doomed our marriage?

Yikes, there's a lot of negative comments about people who still live with their parents. I don't see what the big deal is; if they respect the house and do things like chores and paying rent, what's the big deal? Sometimes circumstances means that people are unable to move out of home. I do, however, think that the parents in this situation sound like they are really babying their son. While expecting their son to respect rules and not inconvenience them by coming home at the all hours of the night may be reasonable, their reaction was not.

Maybe he still lives with his parents because he is a college student and living on your own + college is ******* expensive.

Delsanity 13

I know some few guys like that.