By Dave - 27/09/2012 15:46 - United Kingdom

Today, I was on a plane returning to University, and I decided to shut my eyes. I opened them about 45 minutes later just as the plane landed to find I couldn't move at all. I was in sleep paralysis. The air hostesses had to lift me out of my seat. FML
I agree, your life sucks 31 314
You deserved it 2 299

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I have that all the time, just wait until the monsters start to come while in sleep.

I can't even begin to imagine how awkward that would be.

Comments

devore504 7

this happens to me it sucks. one time i saw a bug turn into a monkey and the last time my dead cousin. hate it so much.

mookiemookie01 24

Wow, never heard of that. Lucky you weren't sent to the morgue.

Hahaha that is some funny ass shit dude. But for real kinda creepy when it happens.

Thats really sad man, one of my best friends suffers from it quite regularly and says its one of the most terrifying things ever :/ Also random fact, lead singer of Bring me the Horizon Oli Sykes suffers from it too.

It happens and when it does it's scary as shit. At least it's not as bad as audio dreams or delusions involving claustrophobia.

That happened to my last night, I some times start seeing things too. That's super embarrassing, I'm sorry OP. :/

Dave, If it is a one time thing, it's ok. It may never happen again. However, if it recurs or this episode was longer than a few minutes, you would need to undergo a polysomnogram with multiple sleep latency test (PSG-MSLT, a specialized sleep study). If you are having sleep attacks during the day you need to see a sleep specialist right away to rule out narcolepsy. If you have missing time periods or "space out" you may need an EEG or even better the above mentioned polysomnogram with MSLT with a full EEG montage. Sleep paralysis happens when you are suddenly woken up from REM sleep (deep stage of your sleep where you dream). Normally in REM sleep the brain paralyzed your body so that you don't act out your dream and injure yourself and others around you. But when you are suddenly woken up from REM sleep before the "atonia" (paralysis) has waned. Sometimes it is associated with very vivid hallucinations called (hypnagogic or hypnapompic hallucination which can be scary). Hope this is a one time deal and hope it doesn't recur. As a neurologist I am amazed with how complicated an organ the brain is. You won't believe some of the weird things I see when the brain plays tricks on you. Hope this helps.. Disclaimer - this is intended for informational purposes only and it does not replace wholly or in part an in-person evaluation by a qualified medical professional. (Stories change and details emerge when you interview a patient in person and review their medical records which can change the diagnosis entirely).

Huh...I've heard about the concept of lucid dreaming and false awakening (not sleep paralysis but seems to be related) loads but never really looked into it before. Just googled it and I'm pretty sure I do this all the time. To OP, I would just be glad you didn't wet yourself - when I was little I used to dream that I'd wake up, walk to the bathroom and go to the toilet, only to find I hadn't actually woken up and had actually wet the bed...never really thought about it since but I guess that explains that...

It happens to me a lot! Though no one understands it. I'll be doing more research now. Thank you for sharing :(