By Mindersss - 01/10/2015 10:46 - United Kingdom

Today, I started my new job. Not even 2 hours in did some old man ask me where I live, what's my number, and if I was interested in being with him and his friends. This guy is at least over 50 and works with me. I left my old job because some old men kept asking the same things. FML
I agree, your life sucks 26 560
You deserved it 2 213

Mindersss tells us more.

Hey! wow this was actually posted. I work in an apprentice, I do business and admin. I am only 19 years old. I have taken it up with my office manager and HR. These guys are just creeps and have been told to stay away from me. For those who say "well you must be doing something" I am not. I dress in jeans and a top, nothing is on show, and even if it was, it does not give them the right to ask where I live and that. I have never given out where I live. I actually have a boyfriend, and if they ask me out, I do tell them, but even if I was single it is none of their business. Thank you to everyone who did back me up, and to those who are saying I must be doing something, please just leave, I do not have time for your comments. I am not to blame here, the guy was, he is married, (could tell from the ring on his finger) and if he has kids, he should be so ashamed! I am only 19!

Top comments

Definitely talk to a higher up or HR. That's really inappropriate. Set firm 'no' boundaries now, and if it continues file for harassment to your boss, don't take any of that. Don't lose your job because of someone else ruining it.

The constant for OP was her being a female, that's usually all it takes.

Comments

saffy66 34

Do they not have sexual harassment laws in the UK? Of course it makes for an awkward workplace, but sometimes you have to stand up and assert yourself. Diarise the conversation, and firmly tell that man to quit speaking to you like that or otherwise harassing you, or else you'll file a report with management.

orios105 18

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
rabbi1010 29

I dont wear make up to work and i still get hit on.

MzZombicidal 36

I am literally a housekeeper. I clean toilets and puke all night. I have my hair pulled back and look like hell by the end of the night and I STILL get hit on. Some people just don't understand boundaries.

Geckosrock99 33

Document everything. I know most places don't allow recoding devices, so don't record him. Dates, times, what he said exactly, and your response to him. All written down as neatly as possible. Then take it to HR.

DejaRenee 16

You must be gorgeous then. But still, not appropriate to be constantly harassed

Looks like some old guy needs to be taught a lesson

time to get into a new field of work. Also reporting this to hr would be good for you

It sounds like a case of sexual harassment to me