By Mindersss - 01/10/2015 10:46 - United Kingdom

Today, I started my new job. Not even 2 hours in did some old man ask me where I live, what's my number, and if I was interested in being with him and his friends. This guy is at least over 50 and works with me. I left my old job because some old men kept asking the same things. FML
I agree, your life sucks 26 560
You deserved it 2 213

Mindersss tells us more.

Hey! wow this was actually posted. I work in an apprentice, I do business and admin. I am only 19 years old. I have taken it up with my office manager and HR. These guys are just creeps and have been told to stay away from me. For those who say "well you must be doing something" I am not. I dress in jeans and a top, nothing is on show, and even if it was, it does not give them the right to ask where I live and that. I have never given out where I live. I actually have a boyfriend, and if they ask me out, I do tell them, but even if I was single it is none of their business. Thank you to everyone who did back me up, and to those who are saying I must be doing something, please just leave, I do not have time for your comments. I am not to blame here, the guy was, he is married, (could tell from the ring on his finger) and if he has kids, he should be so ashamed! I am only 19!

Top comments

Definitely talk to a higher up or HR. That's really inappropriate. Set firm 'no' boundaries now, and if it continues file for harassment to your boss, don't take any of that. Don't lose your job because of someone else ruining it.

The constant for OP was her being a female, that's usually all it takes.

Comments

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

I worked in retail for four years. Got stalked. Got kissed. Got grabbed. And if you tried to politely decline, it simply encouraged them as you being "hard to get". All the girls had their predators at the store, and some of the men.

The constant for OP was her being a female, that's usually all it takes.

Yeah, I hear about things like this happening everywhere. It's nothing new even, my mom told me how she had a job as a teen/young adult and one of the older men working there would make lewd comments about her. It's just something many people have to deal with and its typically more brushed off if the person is older.

Should have given it to his wife next time she came in

dafluckster 6

You know all you're going to get in return for your comment are a lot of PC feminist rants from the crazies.

A lot of people get things like this happening, it's just a common thing. It's not 'pc feminist' to point that out.

Because only feminists see and experience harassment in the workplace. None of these women are being rude to the commenter. They're sharing experiences. Pardon them for speaking up and disagreeing.

Why won't these rabid feminists let you harass them in peace eh? (I only said that because I know it'll get people's panties in a twist, please excuse me) I think it's reasonable to assume she has vibes, I imagine those vibes are 'sweet young girl who will probably respond to grossness with a polite smile, feel free to approach'.

Hell im a guy and I've had coworkers and customers try to flirt and talk lewd with me. I just treat it as a joke, but maybe that only works cuz I'm a dude.

Yeah, actually, you are victim blaming. No one deserves to be sexually harassed. Ever.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

I can't downvote your comment enough, 2. Just because OP is experiencing harassment issues more than once, she is automatically the problem? You ARE blaming the victim here regardless if you claim to do so. Maybe OP is just super attractive and friendly, which is usually all it takes to get guys all over her. You're part of the reason why victims have a hard time speaking up for themselves. Shame on you.

I can't figure out why #2 is being up-voted. What vibes, other than being female, could OP possibly be giving out?

When I worked at Canadian Tire, an old Italian man LITERALLY CHASED ME AROUND THE STORE. He would NOT go away, and nobody thought it was a big deal. They acted like I was overreacting and I should've just ignored the geriatric creeper trying to grab and kiss me in the middle of the store. No thanks.

Allornone 35

I've actually been groped several times at my current retail job, and despite reporting each incident, management has never done anything about it. I've been hit on constantly, even stalked by a confirmed schizophrenic at a former store, and pretty much expected to just deal with it. And I'm no model. All it takes is just being a female.

thatonetribute 31

Maybe you should blame the perverted old men for harassing OP, instead of OP herself for trying to hold a job.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Actually, #2 is literally blaming the victim.

Yeah, that's akin to a statement that starts with "I'm not racist, but...". That is never going to be followed by anything good. Saying "I'm not victim blaming" doesn't make it so if you victim-blame in the very next sentence.

addioty 19

2, you're a disgusting human being. God.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
dafluckster 6

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

You don't have to physically touch someone for it to be harassment. OP is obviously uncomfortable with this kind of attention, enough that she left her last job. There's nothing wrong with flirting, but IMHO there's a huge difference between testing the waters and apparently asking your new coworker about her stance on geriatric gangbangs.

dafluckster 6

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

No one says it isn't the case for men either.

Yeah, men getting harassed and sexualized needs to stop to. Op shouldn't have to leave her job to get away from creeps, EVERYONE needs to understand no means no. After that you are in the wrong. Girl, boy, whatever. Respect the person and back off if they aren't interested.

Definitely talk to a higher up or HR. That's really inappropriate. Set firm 'no' boundaries now, and if it continues file for harassment to your boss, don't take any of that. Don't lose your job because of someone else ruining it.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Telling men that (when they're sleazy I mean) will make them ask about three domes and stuff like that. I've gotten that before.

Shouldn't have to pretend to be something you're not, these people need to learn that it is not okay to do these things no matter the era they grew up in.

EXACTLY! 50. Throwing out the "I'm gay" excuse implies that it's okay to sexually harass women as long as they're heterosexual. A simple "no" should be good enough.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

60: ..."This guy is at least over 50 and works with me." I think that explains it.

What field of work is this? Whatever it is, itseems to have an abnormally high concentration of creeps.

mariri9206 32

#76 I think that's likely, too. I work retail and had 2 encounters with a creepy customer (the same customer both times) and now I wear a fake engagement ring at work to keep the creeps away.

Did he ask if you wanted to see an antique? 'Wink'.

19990231 29

Repot him to hr? Or just sternly talk to him about how it won't happen and is not appropriate.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway