By anon - 16/03/2015 04:10 - Canada - Mississauga

Today, I met my boyfriend's parents for the first time. I thought everything went well, until I got a text from him later saying, "Come on mom, she isn't THAT bad." FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 747
You deserved it 2 588

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Send a text back saying "I know Dad, but he's my boyfriend - even if he is an ass"

He was probably just messing with you. But if not, that doesn't sound too good

Comments

I think he sent that to you as a joke. sometimes when my sister/friend leaves the room when we're all hanging out, we'll loudly say when she comes back "Oh come on guys, Lucy's(fake name) not THAT much of (insert insult here)" I think people do this because people are very insecure about whether people say bad things behind their back. hoping for a follow up to this FML so we can find out if it was a joke or not.

When I was away at college, my mom stopped by my girlfriend's (who is now my wife) house and tell her how completely wrong she was for me and that we should break up. I had absolutely no idea she was planning this and was livid with her. Mom's can just be really protective sometimes.

I don't understand why everyone attacked the mother. There is a lot about the situation we dont know. If the text was not a joke, it might have been about a trait (the cookies she brought over sucked...as an example). Or...the girlfriend could have been wearing cloths that you would not want your future MIL to see you in (dressed like a street walker) ....we don't know.

Awwwe that sucks haha I would die if that happened im sorry

I wouldn't think anything of it mom and son relationships are weird.

havahnegila 22

If the mother doesn't like you 8 out of 10 times the relationship is doomed. I would suggest you try to make nice with the mom.

Try talking to your boyfriend in person about the text! I try to look at the positive side until proven other wise. The boyfriend was trying to defend his girlfriend without getting his Mom upset. :-) As to whether the text was sent accidentally or purposely! OP, You will never know until you talk to him. I tend to think it was an accident because: 1.) It's the more positive scenario! 2.) I've accidentally sent a text to the wrong person before! I text my mother-in-law a message that I was trying to text to my own Mother! Everything was fine once I telephoned each of them to fix the problem! Remember communication is VERY important to any relationship! Good luck OP!

Oh please let him have just been pulling your leg. If he wasn't joking, and it was me, I think I'd avoid them all forever. I'd either be mortified or pissed at being judged so negatively on a first meeting. (Probably a good thing I can't read my in-laws minds) : )