By Becckzfizz - 20/06/2013 14:10 - United Kingdom - Nottingham

Today, I left hospital after a three-night stay. Whilst waiting for my taxi to arrive, my mother called me in hysterics wanting to know where I was, because the police had called her and told her I had gone missing. Turns out my doctor "forgot" to tell anyone that I was discharged. FML
I agree, your life sucks 49 587
You deserved it 3 287

Becckzfizz tells us more.

Hello, I wrote this, Yes I'm in England. I'd text my mum to let her know that I was on my way home, she'd replied and all was well. Next thing I know she's ringing me again thinking that I've done a runner from the hospital. The doctor had discharged me and signed all of my forms, though the nurses on duty had not been notified of this and immediately called the police to report me as a missing person (even though I was waiting for my taxi in the hospital entrance), the police then contacted my emergency contact (my mum) and then she called me. I understand that it wasn't the Doctors fault, it was just a clerical error. All clear?

Top comments

Yeah it is and we still have duels instigated by slapping someone in the face with gloves

good thing someone that absent minded is given responsibility over human lives

Comments

good thing someone that absent minded is given responsibility over human lives

At the same time, consider how busy and negative that environment can get. I was going to say I'm not excusing the mistake, but I kind of am. I'm sure the doctor had other legitimate concerns that took precedence, this isn't Grey's Anatomy.

QuinnyZebrass 11

I think in the UK, it's normal to just say "hospital" instead of "the hospital"

#36 No it is not. We say the Hospital. Saying I went Hospital sounds grammatically incorrect. Same as saying I went shop.

It is where I live 38, I would say I went to hospital, just like I would say I went to school, not the school. However we would never say 'I went hospital'. That's why it sounds wrong

XDsmileyDX_fml 24

"Today, I left hospital..." Should be I left the hospital. For the FML Moderation team.

He's probably this absent minded to all his patients, "oh hey before you go I forgot to mention you have cancer...yea...sorry about that..."

because forgetting to log someone out to not mentioning cancer is definitely a logical step.

I was gonna quote Dr Hartman from family guy but I couldn't remember the quote and had to go to class my baaaad

I'm 20, I go to college, and I didnt miss the patronizing tone in "kid"

absent minded and unintellegent are two entirely different things

He didnt say he was unintelligent he said he was irresponsible, maybe you were trying to comment on the one below?

abukaramel 10

That wasn't smart on the doctor's part at all

He has a loving mom, a prompt & attentive police force (and probably insurance as well - since no mention is made of an exorbitant hospital bill) - OP is a lucky man! So i voted - he deserved it.

Usually the nurse comes in and gives you discharge papers... What planet are you coming from.....

At least you were able to clear things up :)

LookAttMyyLifee 12

maybe your "doctor" should see a doctor.

LookAttMyyLifee 12

maybe your "doctor" should see a doctor.

So Should the op's doctor see a doctor? I feel like that is what you're trying to say.