By Anonymous - 29/05/2009 19:38 - United States

Today, I learned how my cat's flea medicine works. Instead of killing the fleas, it just makes the fleas move off of the animal. The good news is my cat no longer has fleas. The bad news is, the fleas moved into my bed. FML
I agree, your life sucks 44 341
You deserved it 4 509

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I think you need to find a different flea medicine for your cat. And maybe you should buy yourself a flea collar.

cxal_fml 0

they'll die quickly from the lack of blood - any medicine that killed the fleas immediately would also have significant danger of killing you cat pretty quickly too (why most vets only sell Advantage). And regardless of what flea meds you use, you were going to have to wash your bedding and vaccuum the floor anyway so no biggie. Plus human blood kills fleas so any that bit you are dead by now

Comments

Flea's don't die from human blood, where did you learn that lie?

Cantabguy 0

#36 since when are rodents not mammals?

And that's why we don't keep animals in our bedroom...

#3 Human Blood does not kill fleas you dipshit.

#23's an idiot. For the love of god DON'T use Advantix. It will kill your cat (the kidneys will shut down). You must only use advantix on dogs that's never in contact with cats, and if you use it on a cat it will be the one and only time, because she/he won't survive it. Even shared bedding between and dog on advantix and a cat can cause kidney failure. #3 is also an idiot. No flea medicine kills the animal it's advertised for, and the one's that are dangerous to certain species (like advantix and cats) will quite clearly state that. #36 is a GENIUS. Couldn't have said it better myself. Invest in Capstar as a quick fix. We had some puppies come into work that were infested with fleas, to the point where you could see them running all over their face and paws, and they were almost all dead half an hour after capstar. What I suggest is giving capstar to kill off the adults, and at the same time you can apply a treatment like frontline or advantage. It's a preventative with a monthly application, but if the fleas are bad you can use it every 3 weeks instead. It will NOT kill your cat. By knocking off the adults they wont be able to lay new eggs. Just make sure that as the new eggs after 3 weeks or so, you kill them too. Another capstar will do it, or a flea medicated shampoo, though they're not reliable. Flea collars are also rubbish, expensive and rubbish. Flea bomb your house, it will kill the adults living in your carpet and upholstery. Once that gestation period for the eggs has passed and they start hatching you can bomb your house again. This will prevent them from laying yet more eggs. It's just a cycle you have to get on top of, or you and your cat will never get any relief. And if you dont get rid of the fleas in your house then they'll just jump straight back onto your cat when the capstarr wears off. It's an expensive process, but it's worth it to give your cat the relief, and yourself. Once your flea infestation has gone, just make sure you keep up with the medication. Different brands have different time spans, but I find something like Advantage, which is monthly, tends to be the best. Frontline used to be the best on the market, but there are other products that are surpassing it now. Go to your local pet store, they'll stock the best and most popular products, and it will be cheaper than going to your vet to get the medication. I've found the best place to get it is www.petsofoz.com. They're quick, reliable and have very reasonable prices. (I know because I work there ;]) But shop around and eventually you'll sort out the problem.

Ah, #43: meant to say reptile, not rodent. But face it.. anyone who thinks human blood kills fleas probably doesn't know a mammal from a mud puddle. =)

Gingerly 0

Why didn't you give your cat a flea bath before putting on the meds?

#49 the treatment wont work if used within 48 hours of having a bath.