By AlmostScdOtOf68Bucks - 07/04/2009 16:45 - United States

Today, I got accepted to the North America Scholar Consortium as a Member of the Highest Honor, which I had applied for a few weeks ago. Happy to be able to add something good to my resume, I called my mom excitedly, and then Googled it to ascertain the level of prestige. Turns out it's a scam. FML
I agree, your life sucks 47 352
You deserved it 28 532

Supersonic323 tells us more.

OK, I'm the OP, let me explain why I fell for it: -I had very recently received invitations to join two legit honor societies (one I was just inducted to tonight at a formal ceremony at my school, the other has regular meetings and community service projects) -Believe it or not, I do actually have a 4.0 GPA as a junior and miscellaneous other qualifications, so being "accepted" to this honor society didn't seem to be a stretch or anything -As I'm ridiculously busy right now, I didn't Google it first or even look too deeply at their website, I just quickly completed the "application" (you go on their website, apply, and then wait to hear from them) which was free Once I actually got the "acceptance" I called my mom and told her about it. I got off the phone with her and Googled it to get more info about it (I'd never heard of it) and discovered it was a scam. I'm glad I did so because their "initiation fee" was 68 bucks, and I hadn't given them credit card info or anything yet. Obviously I felt stupid; I called my mom back a second later and told her. I'm just glad I didn't COMPLETELY fall for it... lol. I should have taken more time at the start, but #22 is right; I'm just lucky I didn't lose 68. I lost 10 minutes of time and a chunk of my pride. :P I was also pretty pissed/disappointed, but it's OK; I'm in two ACTUAL honor societies, so whatever... I don't need a fake one. ;)

Top comments

why didnt you google it BEFORE you applied?

It doesn't even sound real. YDI for not researching what you were applying for.

Comments

darronlee 0

I'd report this to the FBI if I were you.

vt_mruhlin 0

If you're that gullible, I've got some friends in Nigeria who would like to talk to you.

what a let down =/ people/companies are getting desperate these days for money. they are willing to do anything to get a few bucks out of people. my dad almost fell for some bank scam the other day. it's getting pretty pathetic. watch out everyone. it will only get worse.

snow_cloak 0

The thing is, the opening didn't apply for it. The letter just happened to come in from mail.

Uh, doesn't that title strike you as a bit pompous to be real?

I know how you feel, dude. I got a $50,000 "sweepstakes check" in the mail last year, and though I was excited, I sensed something fishy about it and took it to the bank to have an expert check it out. I soon discovered from the bank that the "check" was completely phony and that if I had cashed it, I would have lost every cent I own. I then took it to my town Police Department to find out if I had any legal recourse, but it turns out that there is virtually no way to track these things. i got out of it relatively unscathed, but my great dream of using the money to send myself to college was completely dashed. :-( Scams and Flams of all kinds suck!!!

nofyourlife 0

hahaha i got an invite for this same thing in my email. luckily i googled it before i did anything with the invite.

that sucks! hope the app fee didn't break ya

infantrygirl 0

YDI. You should have googled it BEFORE you applied.