By Calaraphea - 16/05/2013 15:01 - United Kingdom - Warrington

Today, I got a tattoo of the snake and staff medical symbol on my wrist. Now everyone keeps asking what illness I have; they think it's a medical bracelet substitute. FML
I agree, your life sucks 23 023
You deserved it 40 326

Calaraphea tells us more.

OP here. I didn't expect it to be noted as a medical bracelet substitute. It's very artsy and colourful; it also has a date underneath so I didn't expect people to think it was due to an illness.

Top comments

well since the tattoo signifies so much meaning to you, then you'll hopefully have no regrets. it just seems that misconception of others will live you the rest of your life. just something you gotta deal with, but I'm sure the tattoo was worth it in the end.

Comments

conholio33 28

That is why you dont do that unless you have a medical condition that requires you to have the medical symbol displayed for emergency personell to see

KatieKalamity 2

Because that's what it means in case of a ******* emergency and an emt looks at your wrist or in your wallet for any sort of clue as to how to help you. A lot of diabetics get this with 'insulin dependent diabetic' written under it. You're a ******* idiot. I do not feel sorry for you. At all.

squideth 18

Jesus, calm your ****. If you bothered the read OP's comments earlier, you'd see that she got it because she's a nurse.

Why not get some words from the Hippocratic Oath added to the cadecus?

ashleyiowa12 3

Well, actually the symbol you're referring to as a "snake and staff" is really representing a parasitic worm called dracunculus and the "staff" is actually just a stick that you legitimately use just to wind the worm out of your body through a puncture wound. So you really just got a tattoo of a parasite and a stick. But I understand the meaning behind the tattoo, I work in healthcare.

Actually the "snake and staff" is the Rod of Asclepius, so your "worm" is an elaphe guttata (corn snake), and your "stick" is the staff of said Asclepius the greek god of medecine and healing... Get your facts right before trying to be a smartass !

ashleyiowa12 3

I was clearly not trying to be a smartass. Just sharing what I learned in medical school classes. It actually is a parasitic worm and ancient medical treatment with a stick. The Greek did associate this symbol with a God, yes. But it is indeed a real parasite that has been around for centuries, therefore that is the background for the reason why this symbol has a worm and a stick "or whatever you may call it." They probably referred to it as a snake back in ancient times, but really it is dracunculus (which is considered a parasitic WORM in modern science).

I have the medic alert symbol tattood on the outside of my wrist and what im allergic to on the inside. I agree with other ppls comments that putting Trama Dr somewhere near it may avoid said confusion.

redbeard9990 7

The stupidity of people who would think its a medical bracelet just amazes me I don't want to live on this planet anymore

surfergirl72 7

Have the MD worked into it. I have the letters in my caduceus and its never mistaken. I hope you went one snake and not two. Two is wrong and wigs me out.

Its called a caduceus o_O!? You should also look into what something stands for in popular culture before... tattooing it on a related body part!?!

monkiki62 5

Wow really? People are so dumb. That symbol is of the staff of hermes the greek god. It is used for symbolic purpose by the medical companies because it was said the staff could heal anything damaged. Your tattoo is respectful and interesting. Just ignore them.

monkiki62 5

Meh didnt mean hermes, it was a different greek god. Cant remember his name.