By help - 05/01/2015 18:52 - Malta - Naxxar

Today, I finally got a restraining order against my violent ex. My mom now keeps finding ways to tell me how shitty I am for breaking the "poor boy's" heart and how I didn't deserve him anyway. FML
I agree, your life sucks 38 015
You deserved it 2 800

Same thing different taste

Top comments

don't let her get into your head, you're a very brave person for getting the police involved. you did the right thing no matter what she says

Don't let it get to you. What went on behind closed doors between you & him & your safety is what matters. Your mom sees things from one side & from the sounds of it he obviously made an effort to give others one impression & treat you another way

Comments

Looks like you need to cut off ties to your mother, too.

Stay strong OP. If you can cut off one toxic relationship, maybe the next to go is the one you have with your mother

Ignore her she obviously doesn't have all the information

Been there, done that. You did the right thing OP! All the best.

TomeDr 24

You don't deserve him. You deserve BETTER.

She seems to be the reason you were seeking abusive relationships -_-

OP, I'm so sorry that your mom has such a horrible view of you. Please tell her that it's neccesary to have the restraining order, whether she approves or not. If she doesn't support you or shows false support, please do not keep her updated about yourself, try to create distance in your relationship with her. As another commenter said, she might update your ex. If you think that people couldn't be so horrible, please read on. Because just like your mom, my mother supported my ex after the relationship. She didn't believe that he'd done things to me, said that I have a rich imaganation (imagenation?) and that I excagerate to get attention. She blamed me for his actions, saying that I was too demanding, that I have too high expectations and that I was a difficult person because I wouldn't settle for something I found unacceptable. She even went as far to go to the police for a statement which supported my ex, after I've filed a report against him for assault and attempted murder. Because of that he got away with a sentence for 40 hours community service. After that she would invite him over for dinner when she invited me without informing me, she'd tell him where I'd go and with whom, she gave him my new number when I changed it.. And the list goes on. It was a very stressful and depressing period and I wouldn't wish that for anyone. So please OP, keep your own safety a priority.

I have a similar situation. My mother has told me that if I divorce the asshole that tried to kill her grandchild, she will disown me. He hit me with a car while I was 6 months pregnant by backing up. He stopped first, and then decided to try to run me over after knocking me down. I still have the baby, and he is fine. He on the other hand has a lot coming to him.

I hope he gets life sentence for that or a min of 50 years. I cant believe that he tried to do that to you and your child!!

O.P. I definitely feel for you. However, this is both an "I agree, you're life sucks" and a "You diserve it." I'm probably already berried, but let me explain. You have done something incredible by standing up for yourself and getting that restraining order. Any man that raises a hand towards a woman in anything except self defense is a 100% certified prick, and should get his dick cut off. I can only imagine the strength it took you to do this. Calling the police is not an easy thing to do. My girlfriend was in a similar situation, except luckily for her kicking him out, changing the locks, and having her cop of a sister around was enough to deter her abusive ex, whom we lovingly refer to as AssHole. After he was gone, taking everything he ever bought her, and anything she bought herself in the past several months with him, of course she was depressed, but happy to have him gone. Her mother on the other hand, did not support her at all, or show any sort of sympathy towards her. My girlfriend continued her relationship with her mom for years after it, but it just kept going further and further down hill. Much like an abusive relationship, a toxic relationship with a family member will only get worse and worse. Don't defend her, and don't be victimized. Sure, she may never physically hurt you, but emotional damage can be longer lasting by far. You've shown incredible strength by cutting off one horrible relationship. I'm not saying you absolutely need to do it again, but if you tolerate this behavior now, where will it lead to in 3 years? You know how these thigns work, you know what you have to do. I don't know what you have to do. Maybe talking to her will help, but I highly doubt it will. Since I'm not too clear on my reason for voting YDI: you have the strength to do what needs to be done, which is an extremely rare, and valuable, trait. You've done it once, but are not doing it on your mother. I feel bad for the victims at first, but if they're the ones that let the abuse go on for years, defend their abusers, and refuse to escape, then it starts to become their fault in my book. I don't feel this for violent abuse, or any kind of significant other abuse, but when it's your own mother, sorry, you know what you have to do, and it's your own fault if you don't do it. Okay, rant over.

At least you know your worth. I hope he stays away