By Haberdashing - 13/11/2013 20:10 - United States - Rochester

Today, I donated blood. Afterwards, I regained consciousness on the floor with a half-eaten cookie in my mouth. FML
I agree, your life sucks 44 987
You deserved it 4 049

Haberdashing tells us more.

Wow. This was my FML. It was my first time giving blood. I'd tried once before but my hemoglobin was too low. So I made sure to eat lots of iron rich foods the weeks before and was fine this time. Everything went really well. But when I got settled at the table with the snacks where they make you wait for 15 minutes I started to feel a bit dizzy. I fainted then. I'd been in the middle of eating my cookie, so it wasn't that odd. The wonderful people there caught me and lowered me to the floor, and I was only out for about 20 seconds. When I woke I was just really confused, and all I could really coherently think was "I have a half chewed cookie in my mouth," and I couldn't figure out how to swallow. They gave me juice and ice and I went back to my dorm to lay down until class. I think it actually went really well, and I'm excited to give blood in the future. I'll just have a larger breakfast and stay laying down for longer.

Top comments

emirie 21

I totally pictured you walking with a cookie in your mouth, minding your business and suddenly fainting.

Comments

Good attitude op, and glad this won't deviate you from donating in the future.

Sounds like me whenever I donate blood... Except I never make it to the cookies before I pass out. It's funny because I can tell the exact moment I go white (besides how I feel) by looking at the nurses... I suddenly get a lot of attention, am laying back with ice on my chest in a matter of moments. :) drink lots of water too! That will help

And that folks is why I don't donate blood.

and that is why during blood shortages people who donate are given priority to receive blood should they need it. So potentially you might require a blood transfusion that during a shortage would instead go to a patient with a donor card in their wallet.

What is with wrong with them?! You're not supposed to put anything in an unconscious person's mouth!

They didn't. Read the authors reply. It was already in her mouth when she fainted.

I have to be extra careful when I give blood too. No worries OP, you're not the first, nor will you be the last.

Was the cookie ok? And great that you gave blood and tht youre okay. Shame that you feinted though that can be a little scary.

Mc8005 9

I donate regularly. I've been doing so since my senior year of high school (I'm 30 now, so about 12 years or so). I've never had a problem with it. They take their pint (or on occasion two since I'm O neg and in high demand) then I hop up, grab my cookie and gatorade (they give out gatorade at the local blood drives instead of juice), and leave. Most of the time I drop off the drink and cookies with the next homeless guy I see. I've never had a problem with fainting or even feeling light headed. Then again, I am 240 pounds, a bit bigger than average.

Thanks OP, I have just searched for the next place to give blood. It's one of those 'always going to do' things but never quite get around to. Hope I can help someone one day too.