By Anonymous - 01/02/2013 22:13 - Romania - Cluj-napoca

Today, I asked my bosses for three weeks off in July to go on a much-needed vacation. Their response was to fire me on the spot. My bosses are my aunt and uncle. FML
I agree, your life sucks 36 153
You deserved it 4 040

Same thing different taste

Top comments

What audacity you have, asking on such short notice. On the plus side, congrats on getting your vacation.

Comments

You probably offended them by asking for so much time. Small business owners do not ever really get time off, for a kid to ask for three weeks, especially if giving you the job was a family favor, it was over the top.

If OP has enough leave owing, they can take as long as they damn well please, and given use of the words 'much needed', I'd say they probably do have enough to cover that. Granted it's considered socially unacceptable to take 'too long', but they sure as hell can't fire you over it!

TheDrifter 23

Much needed is a relative term. My kids already insist they desperately need a weeks vacation, and it's only been a month since the Christmas break.

ThirstyGrunt 6

That's an overreaction! They couldn't just laugh in op's face and say no like the non-family managers everywhere else?

Sue them. You have a good reason to do it.

Shinara101 14

What are you, some sort of muggle version of Harry Potter?

Obey_StudBoii 23

This ladies and gentleman is why you never work with family or for family. Always turns into a sticky situation.

Wow. The next family reunion is sure to be awkward.

Satoaoi 13

It was ridiculous of you to expect to be able to take 3 weeks off of work. YDI for expecting special treatment

What's so special about that? Working in some kind of slave labour job?

Who said anything about special treatment? For all you know those vacation days were benefits that all employees are entitled to. Don't judge so quickly.

Ins0mau 20

I can get 3 weeks off easily if I've built up that much leave here in Australia. I think the U.S can be pretty harsh when it comes to leave.