By mr1234 - 05/03/2014 21:37 - United States - North Weymouth

Today, every "entry level" job in my field is now requiring 2-5 years experience. I don't think they understand what "entry level" actually means. FML
I agree, your life sucks 44 833
You deserved it 3 374

mr1234 tells us more.

Thanks for the support and encouragement everyone, it's nice to know that I wasn't totally degraded for something that's been extremely frustrating. I'm very lucky the currently have a full time job (A supervisory position, at 24, as a woman!). And for those wondering, my field is business administration. i have a Bachelor's degree and plenty of legitimate work experience, just not experience that is directly related to what they want. so *whoosh* in the trash goes my resume!

Top comments

samimarie199 22

Jobs these days expect more than they say they do so... Like the saying goes "no job no experience, no experience no job". Good luck op

Comments

messeduplife2 7

That's what it's like for electricians. It's bullshit.

Ughhh, I know that feeling. And post-grad training programs that want you to have experience as well. I don't understand what people are thinking these days. It's like, hello, why do you think I'm applying here? I need to start somewhere!

Thanks for the support and encouragement everyone, it's nice to know that I wasn't totally degraded for something that's been extremely frustrating. I'm very lucky the currently have a full time job (A supervisory position, at 24, as a woman!). And for those wondering, my field is business administration. i have a Bachelor's degree and plenty of legitimate work experience, just not experience that is directly related to what they want. so *whoosh* in the trash goes my resume!

that "as a woman" bit was completely unnecessary

@104, not really. Unfortunately, positions like that are more often given to men, even when they're less qualified.

#107 is right, there are some places where women don't get treated the same however it depends on lots of things.. where I work half the managers are women and treated equal. But two years ago the previous CFO was a woman and was always biased towards "her girls". All our finance staff are women and she gave them special treatment and treated male employees like crap, so it can happen both ways. We got a new CFO now and she isn't sexist.

My mom was the first woman construction site supervisor in my area, and you can bet she got a bunch of shit from guys saying she "stole a man's job."

Congratulations on your supervisory position, OP. I hope you'll use it to fight the trend toward unpaid internships (aka indentured servitude).

Even more pernicious, a requirement to serve an unpaid internship as a condition of getting a job reinforces a lack of class mobility. Unpaid internships are restricted to those who have parents who are wealthy enough to support them while they're working for no pay.

I'm dealing with this at the minute. After 6 years in the horse industry I've decided to move away from horses since mine passed away and get a 'normal' job but everyone looks at your resume like 'oh, you can shovel shit and lift heavy things. That's nice.' Even though I liaise with clients, organise schedules, do data entry, have to think on my feet and have to have some sort of time management to get everything done. But we'll take a chance on the kid that's been mooching off mum and dad since they left high school and hasn't ever really worked a day in their life.

You must convey that to your employer.

TcheQ 12

Grab a bullshit temp job and wait. I'm still waiting. And this temp job is fcking cushy (and ongoing for 3+ years)

and that is why you won't go anywhere in life with a lazy mentality

"Entry level" these days unfortunately means "senior level experience at entry level pay."

It's because in more competence fields you are expected to have completed an internship before applying for a paying job.

Actually, you are the one that doesn't know what it means. They are using it correctly. It means it is the lowest job on the job totem pole. They may want someone with a degree and some experience, but you are NOT going to be in charge of anyone. An entry level position at McDonald's doesn't mean the same thing as an entry level at a big sales firm, for example.

They may say that it requires 2-5 years of experience, but that doesn't necessarily mean in that particular field. I just got my first "grown up" job in marketing after years of experience in other fields, such as retail and broadcasting. They just need proof that you're a hard worker and can handle that level of responsibility.