By opinionsarestill - 20/12/2013 08:23 - United States - Sacramento

Today, after finals, my English professor left me less than one percent from an A. Why? All semester long, he took away points because my opinions did not match his. FML
I agree, your life sucks 45 773
You deserved it 3 721

opinionsarestill tells us more.

HI! I appreciate sympathy. I wasn't expecting it, but it makes me feel a bit better. Thank you. XD It is (was) a college level English course (the last one I had to take for my GE requirements). I really did try hard in that class. I would ask him very specific questions and he would provide vague answers. His opinion on the material was never explicitly clear (considering every assignment we did was based upon a different work or subject). I'm not displeased about getting a B, it's just frustrating to be left so close to the next grade!

Top comments

Damn, that's the most retarded reason I've ever heard for docking marks. FYL.

Comments

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think he can do that legally.

cmoney408 6

dont you know how to kiss ass???

If you knew me, you wouldn't be recommending that. :p

You can report him and even sue for that

Writing assignments are crazy subjective, especially if you're writing fiction, or an argument/debate piece. It's difficult to prove they are marking you down due to their beliefs because they can argue that they didn't find your arguments persuasive enough.........for my GCSE coursework, my writing changed according to who was marking the work, yes it's sucky, but better safe than sorry. I wrote metaphors, religious imagery and not quite purple prose for one teacher. Another teacher got concise writing heavy on dialogue with a bittersweet ending because that's what they wanted to see. Market research 1. What books/DVDs/Tv shows do they like, what posters do they have up, what do they say about different things, do your friends get marked up or down from you, read the comments. If they have a mug with a quote on it, google it and find out what it's from. 2. Collect these items, write down features such as: metaphors, homophones etc as they appear in the first item, as you go through your samples make a tally. Also make a note of anything that is conspicuously absent, this might not be something they hate, but it's probably best not to include it. (You don't need to read everything thoroughly, sparknotes, the first few pages, a couple in the middle and a couple at the end will do fine) 3. Google things they really seem to hate, if they have a lot of common features (one of my teacher loathed alliteration with a passion). Avoid things they seem to mildly dislike/like as these will have a mix of things they like and dislike and it can get pretty tricky to tell which is which. 4. Do they have any strong views in general, don't mess with their religion or political ideals. Writing If something has lots of tally marks include it, if they hate/have displayed no interest in something don't include it. Spell, punctuate, use grammar. If you manage to use semi-colons correctly they will be happy. Grades Receive your A, frame it, hang it on your wall. tl;dr: I think of it like writing a book/article for an audience/magazine, I look at what they like/hate as 'market research', note common features (beige/purple prose, sentence length, communism/capitalism), then make sure to include good things in the final 'product' and avoid their 'hates'. It's what authors do in the real world, it's like picking a movie for your friend, if they hate aliens don't get them ET.

alex101676 8

he's probably a liberal douchebag.

Wonder if he knows he can be fired for that

Nothing wrong with having a different opinion. Maybe your professor should learn that not everyone is going to agree with him.