By opinionsarestill - 20/12/2013 08:23 - United States - Sacramento

Today, after finals, my English professor left me less than one percent from an A. Why? All semester long, he took away points because my opinions did not match his. FML
I agree, your life sucks 45 772
You deserved it 3 721

opinionsarestill tells us more.

HI! I appreciate sympathy. I wasn't expecting it, but it makes me feel a bit better. Thank you. XD It is (was) a college level English course (the last one I had to take for my GE requirements). I really did try hard in that class. I would ask him very specific questions and he would provide vague answers. His opinion on the material was never explicitly clear (considering every assignment we did was based upon a different work or subject). I'm not displeased about getting a B, it's just frustrating to be left so close to the next grade!

Top comments

Damn, that's the most retarded reason I've ever heard for docking marks. FYL.

Comments

Nolimit2217 32

I bet the school board would have an opinion that didn't match his about grading that way!

That's ridiculous. Sorry you were stuck with one of the bad ones. If OP is in HS I agree, she should attempt to argue it. But if she is in college she's probably just SOL. My dad had one like that once. Don't remember what it was, but they were arguing over him getting marked off for something Where my dad was right, but it just wasn't how the professor did it so he counted it wrong. when asked what was the difference if it was still right the professor said "One will get you an A and one will cause you to fail." And that is college mentality.

fartay55 11

That's illegal right? Or at least immoral?

perdix 29

At least you learned how things work in the real world. In school, they don't teach you "go along to get along." Agree with those in authority and you'll be ok.

Authority says: "Killing poor people is a good idea." According to Perdix, we must agree with authority Morals say: "Don't kill unless defending oneself from direct bodily harm." Which would you choose?

...and that's how Hitler was able to do the things he did. Just following orders :(

perdix 29

#63, in your ivory tower, you'd be the hero who saves all the poor people. In the real world, the authority will kill you along with all the poor people. Your only real hope is to not live under such an authority. When it's choosing to become evil or being killed, neither choice is "good."

perdix 29

#68, yes. There was no good option. If you didn't follow Hitler's orders, you were killed then and there, and if you did, you were rightfully prosecuted (and maybe even executed) by those who stopped Hitler's evil. The reality is if you fall under an evil authority, you are ******. Your only hope is to prevent evil from taking over in the first place, or running away from it if it does.

@71 The only real hope of stopping someone of authority doing evil things is for enough people to rebel.

....or not allowing those types of people to rise to power.

oi perdix, don't be so pessimistic. There are so many brave and clever fighters throughout history who prove that those aren't the only options you have when 'evil' comes into power. There's a reason why unlike all the other countries occupied by Germany in WW2, Holland had only 100+ Jews taken to concentration camps (other countries had hundreds or thousands). When Germans made it so all Jews had to wear a star of David to be identifiable on the street, the Dutch king ruled that EVERYONE had to wear a star of David (he even wore one himself). Then when the Germans decided to round up all the Jews and take them away, the Dutch police got hold of the information a few days before it was scheduled and during that short time managed to ship almost every single Jew out to Sweden (or one of the other neutral countries I can't remember). When there's a will there's a way.

*Danish king, not Dutch, sorry. I got the two mixed up in my head. It was Denmark not Holland where this happened. But still :P

perdix 29

#84, the Danes were incredibly brave and clever. There were also other righteous people like Oscar Schindler that defied evil and survived. Sadly, you don't know of others that tried and failed because they and the people they tried to save were all murdered. Preventing evil from getting in power in the first place is the best hope. Once, it's in, it is hard to overcome.

NatalieOntheTram 11

This is probably the worst and the best part of University. If your professor likes you, you're practically guaranteed to get an A. But if not, you'll probably lose points for stupid things. This is why I tend to suck up to all my professors, even if I don't actually like or agree with them. I once had to rewrite an essay because my professor didn't agree with my point of view. Anyways, at least your professor didn't give you a C, or worse, fail you for disagreeing.

JMichael 25

I'd report him. If he was professional he'd realize that everyone has their own opinion and won't have one exactly similar to his own. I know he won't agree with this but it's my opinion he's a jackass.

You can actually sue the school for a shit ton of money

ninety 25

Yeah, you can. You won't win.

Don't worry, OP. The legal advice of a 15-year-old has never lead anyone astray