By AKGrace - 21/02/2013 20:45 - United States - Wasilla

Today, a co-worker invited me to go out for lunch with him. I politely declined, saying I had too many errands to do. The truth is that I'm just too broke. I'll be buying myself a burrito using quarters I found on the floor of my car. FML
I agree, your life sucks 37 758
You deserved it 3 308

AKGrace tells us more.

OP here! I appreciate everyone's feedback and helpful comments! Although I make considerably less than most of my coworkers because I have only been here about 7 months, I have no room to complain. I just thought this story would make a good FML. Me and my boyfriend make a decent living on our own and this situation happened after I had to fork out some money on some unexpected expenses! I do pack my own lunch about 4 out of 5 days and have actually been working on budgeting a lot more! Even reading Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover.. I have definitely noticed a lot of money saved by not eating out as much as I used to!

Top comments

Lionesse 15

Don't be ashamed of not having money.. It happens.. Just be upfront and take a rain check with your co-worker. They should understand

Simply say, "I would love to, but budget is tight this month. I'm very sorry! Maybe next time, though?" That can't hurt anything, and maybe he'll offer to pay! :) I hope things go better in the future!

Comments

Yup, everyone has been there here &there but next time maybe pack some lunch? Budget your money & spend it wisely on food while you're tight on cash, OP.

zombieslayer83 19

A Turkey sandwich is cheap and effective.

Tell your friend that you don't have the cash to spend eating out, but you would love to have sandwiches with them at your local park? Then that way neither of you spend money on an expensive lunch and you can relax!

catanita 18

As long as you can afford to go to work in your personal car it means that you aren't broke. Broke means not having money to buy a lousy bus ticket to go to work.

Satoaoi 13

this saddens Me. things will get better you'll see . have some faith

r_bruce69 19

You can't really vote YDI or FYL on this one. If she gets the same pay as the coworker, it's OP's fault. Unless they had something to pay off that wasn't there fault. This is why FMLs need context.

If you're that broke, you wouldn't have left the money on the floor for that long.

misslifeguard 7

He asked you out on a date hun. If he was a gentlemen he would of payed

I know it's not healthy, but go for the 'mr noodles' route. It's cheap, quick to make, but not the healthiest.

Your response should have been, "Okay, if you pay." Maybe he wanted it to be a quasi date.